ALS announces that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Reservoir for US$533 million1 (9.6x Reservoir’s FY2013 EBITDA4). The transaction follows extensive due diligence undertaken by ALS on Reservoir as a part of an exclusive sale process. Reservoir is a global provider of specialist oil and gas services and equipment that assists with the evaluation, development and optimisation of oil and gas discoveries. Reservoir operates five segments: Coring (49% of Reservoir’s FY2013 revenue5); Surface Logging (28% of Reservoir’s FY2013 revenue5); Downhole Tools (4% of Reservoir’s FY2013 revenue5) and Specialist Well Services (15% of Reservoir’s FY2013 revenue5). Services and equipment provided by Reservoir assist with understanding, planning, accessing and optimising reservoir potential. Reservoir has a global presence with major hub operations in Aberdeen, Dubai, Houston and Edmonton, operational infrastructure in approximately 40 sites covering key oil and gas provinces and over 900 employees. The business enjoys long-term relationships with a strong customer base of national and international oil companies, independent oil companies and global service providers to the oil and gas industry.
The existing senior management team of Reservoir has committed to continue in the business and is rolling over approximately 50% of their equity in Reservoir into ALS shares, which will result in Reservoir senior management having a 1.5% pro forma shareholding in ALS. Multi-year conditional escrow arrangements have been put in place for the two largest management shareholders and retention bonuses have been agreed with all key Reservoir senior management.
Separately, ALS has also agreed to acquire Earth Data for approximately AU$18 million. Earth Data is an Australian-based provider of gas sampling and analysis services to Australia's oil and gas industries, and safety monitoring sampling and analysis for fugitive emissions to Australian coal mines. Earth Data operates laboratories in Brisbane and the Hunter Valley, and employs approximately 60 staff.
Completion of the acquisitions of Reservoir and Earth Data are subject to limited conditions precedent and are both expected to complete by early August 2013. The acquisition of Reservoir is conditional on ALS securing U.S. antitrust approval and no material adverse change in Reservoir.
- ALS Limited (ASX: ALQ) (“ALS” or the “Company”) has agreed to acquire Reservoir Group (“Reservoir”) from SCF Partners, Reservoir management and other shareholders for a total consideration of approximately US$533 million1; (AU$579 million2)
- Reservoir is a global provider of specialist oil and gas services and equipment with a portfolio of market leading brands, operational experience in over 60 countries and long-term relationships with national and international oil companies, independent oil companies and global service providers to the oil and gas industry
- The combined platform of Reservoir with ALS’ proven laboratory testing capabilities is expected to, over time, generate significant revenue synergies in a relatively fragmented and large market
- The Reservoir acquisition is expected to be EPS accretive in FY2014 (pre-synergies)3
- Separately, ALS has also agreed to acquire Earth Data Pty Ltd (“Earth Data”) for AU$18 million. Earth Data is an Australian-based provider of niche sampling and analysis services to Australia's oil, gas and coal industries