Lansing, MI, April 1st, 2013 -- Gathering information from professionals in the industrial hygiene community is an important way for the American Board of Industrial Hygiene to understand industry trends. Just last month, ABIH announced a contest for CIHs to share their Value Story. The contest runs through June and provides an opportunity for CIHs to provide important insight to help the ABIH continue to improve the CIH program.
Examinees who took the CIH exam last fall were also asked for their input in a recent survey. Almost 300 people who took the exam responded to 21 questions posed on a survey conducted for ABIH in November.
The fall examinees’ survey provided a number of interesting results, including the following:
- 40% reported they had learned about CIH certification at the university they attended.
- 58% responding to the survey had been mentored by a CIH.
- 85% indicated their primary reason for seeking CIH certification was personal satisfaction/professional development/credibility.
- 54% hold no other certifications.
- 50% plan to also pursue CSP certification.
- 54% were receiving financial support by their employer to take a certification review course.
- 58% had taken the CIH exam before.
- 75% did not participate in a study group.
- 73% participated in an exam preparation course.
- 44% took the exam preparation course 1 to 6 months before the exam.
“We’ll be doing more analysis of the data from this survey and will continue to share it as it becomes available,” stated Roger Smith, CIH, CHMM, Certification Applications Manager at ABIH. “ABIH offers our sincere thanks to all who took the time to contribute their input. Because of the valuable responses we received, we’re planning to send the survey out again in May to those new Examinees for the spring 2013 exam.”
ABIH has released a video about the benefits of achieving the CIH that can be viewed at: http://www.abih.org/abih-video
About the American Board of Industrial Hygiene
Since 1960, ABIH, a not-for-profit corporation, has been the world's largest, premier organization for certifying professionals in the practice of industrial hygiene. ABIH is responsible for ensuring high-quality certification including education, experience, examination, certification maintenance and ethics enforcement.