TORONTO -- Barrick Gold Corporation has been recognized as one of the top five companies in Canada for its climate change disclosure practices in an annual survey conducted by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
It is the third consecutive year that Barrick has been named to the CDP Canada 200 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index. The index is a list of the top 20 companies with the highest carbon disclosure scores from among 200 major Canadian companies on corporate carbon-related issues, such as governance, strategy and initiatives, and greenhouse gas emissions. Barrick tied for fifth place with three other companies. It is the second straight year that Barrick ranked among the top five companies in Canada.
“At Barrick sites, we are improving energy efficiency and exploring renewable energy projects to help reduce our global carbon footprint,” said Bill Williams, Vice President, Environment. “Our approach is to continuously improve our performance and manage the business risks associated with climate change. Our inclusion in this respected index validates our efforts to manage our impacts in a transparent and responsible manner.”
The CDP is the only global climate change reporting system and involves disclosure of climate change strategies by 6,000 of the world’s largest companies. The survey data is available for use by a wide audience, including institutional investors, corporations, policy makers, public sector organizations, government bodies, academics and the public.
This recognition by the Carbon Disclosure Project coincides with the publication of the latest edition of Barrick’s Beyond Borders magazine, which features the following:
- Barrick’s $1.2 million partnership with Communities In Schools will help at-risk students at two Nevada middle schools stay in school through graduation.
- Barrick’s $2 million contribution over a three-year period to improve child nutrition and maternal health in Peru is generating positive results. Chronic malnutrition in children under the age of three in 45 communities in the La Libertad and
Ancash districts fell by 9 percent (down to 38 percent from 47 percent).
- An interview with Aron Cramer, CEO of Business for Social Responsibility and member of Barrick’s CSR Advisory Board, who explains why the private and public sector are collaborating more on sustainable development projects, and why this is a positive development.
- Barrick introduces a new tailings management standard.
- Managing in-migration at the Lumwana mine in Zambia.
About Barrick Gold Corporation
Barrick is the gold industry leader in production, reserves, and market capitalization. Based in Toronto, the company operates globally, with a portfolio of 27 operating mines and advanced exploration and development projects located across the world. Barrick trades on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges and employs 26,000 people worldwide. The company has been ranked as a world leader in social and environmental responsibility for the fifth consecutive year by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and is also listed on the NASDAQ Global Sustainability Index of the top 100 companies. The company was rated one of the best 50 corporate citizens in Canada by Corporate Knights.