EXTON, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the leading company dedicated to providing comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure, today announced the winners of the 2011 Be Inspired Awards. The awards honor the extraordinary work of Bentley users improving the world’s infrastructure. They were presented last night at a gala dinner during the annual Be Inspired: Thought Leadership in Infrastructure event, held Nov. 8-9, in Amsterdam, Netherlands. This invitation-only gathering of infrastructure executives and thought leaders from around the globe was also attended by 80 members of the media from leading publications. This year’s special guest speaker was H. Kit Miyamoto, CEO, Miyamoto International. During the awards presentations, 20 Be Inspired Awards winners, representing project work in 11 countries, were recognized. In addition, the winners of the Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards, announced last month, were acknowledged, as was the recipient of the Bentley Educator of the Year award, Maria-Paz Gutierrez, professor, University of California, Berkeley.
Five independent panels of jurors, comprising accomplished Bentley users and distinguished industry experts, selected the Be Inspired Awards winners from 57 finalists. These finalists had been previously chosen from the nominations submitted by 270 organizations in 42 countries.
CEO Greg Bentley said, “It is my privilege to recognize the exceptional talent and achievements of this year’s Be Inspired Awards winners, as well as of all our nominees this year. Their innovative use of information modeling and best practices has resulted in a legacy of intelligent, better-performing infrastructure that will serve many generations of people around the globe, improving quality of life and helping sustain the environment. Their work is very much appreciated, and on behalf of my colleagues at Bentley, I congratulate them for their inspiring projects!”
Bentley has posted highlights of this year’s winning projects on its website and will include detailed descriptions of all nominated projects in the print and digital versions of TheYear in Infrastructure 2011, which will be published by year’s end. To review the last seven editions of this publication, which together feature more than 1,300 world-class projects recognized in the Be Inspired Awards program since 2004, visit www.bentley.com/yearininfrastructure.
The Be Inspired Awards winners for 2011 are as follows:
Connecting Project Teams
- Los Angeles Department of Water and Power – LADWP ProjectWise Implementation – (Los Angeles, California, USA)
Innovation in Asset Lifecycle Information Management
- Southern Company – Asset Management - ProjectWise Lifecycle Server – (Birmingham, Alabama, USA)
Innovation in Bridges
- HDR, Inc., T.Y. Lin International, and Jacobs Engineering – Hoover Dam Bypass – (Mohave County, Arizona, and Clark County, Nevada, USA)
Innovation in Building
- UNStudio – EEA & Tax Offices – (Groningen, Netherlands)
Innovation in Campuses, Airports, and Military Installations
- Mott MacDonald - Arup Joint Venture – Midfield Development Design Consultancy Services – (Hong Kong, China)
Innovation in Communications Networks
- Precision Contracting Services, Inc. – Martin County Community Broadband Network – (Martin County, Florida, USA)
Innovation in Construction
- Jacobs – Automating WorkFace Planning – (Corpus Christi, Texas, USA)
Innovation in Generative Design
- HOK and PLP Architecture – The Francis Crick Institute – (London, United Kingdom)
Innovation in Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Jan De Nul NV – Panama Canal Expansion – (Panama City and Colon, Panama)
Innovation in Government
- Port of Helsinki – Vuosaari Harbour Maintenance System – (Helsinki, Finland)
Innovation in Mining and Metals
- SEI Engenharia Ltda – Cristalino Project – (Canaã dos Carajás, Pará, Brazil)
Innovation in Multimedia
- i-TEN Associates – Point Cloud Visualizations – (Portland, Oregon, USA)
Innovation in Power Generation
- L&T-Sargent & Lundy Limited – 3x660 MW Supercritical Thermal Power Plant – (Nagpur, Maharashtra, India)
Innovation in Process Manufacturing
- Qatar Petroleum – Creation of Intelligent As-built Models of Offshore Facilities Using a Combination of Terrestrial Laser Scanning and Verified Existing Engineering Drawings – (Doha, Qatar)
Innovation in Rail and Transit
- Hatch Mott MacDonald – Toronto - York Spadina Subway Extension – (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Innovation in Roads
- Beam, Longest and Neff, L.L.C. – I-69 at State Road 61/56 – (Pike County, Indiana, USA)
Innovation in Structural Engineering
- Stopford Projects Ltd – Tata Soda Ash Plant Winnington – (Winnington, Cheshire, United Kingdom)
Innovation in Utility Transmission and Distribution Networks
- ENMAX Power Corporation – A Case Study on Bentley Substation – (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
Innovation in Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants
- CDM – Galveston Main Wastewater Treatment Plant – (Galveston, Texas, USA)
Innovation in Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Networks
- General Directorate of Izmir Water and Wastewater Authority – IZSU Geographic Infrastructure Information System Project – (Izmir, Turkey)
Candidates for Bentley’s third annual Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards were placed into nomination by the independent panels of jurors for their uniquely innovative and visionary achievements embracing multiple Be InspiredAwards categories. The nominees were then reviewed by a panel of Bentley executives. The achievements recognized by this year’s four awards are Attaining Return on Innovation, Sustaining Our Society, Sustaining Our Environment, and Sustaining the Professions.
The Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards winners for 2011 are as follows:
Attaining Return on Innovation
- Cadre Design Group, Inc. – SFOBB East Span Seismic Safety Project – (San Francisco-Oakland, California, USA)
Sustaining Our Society
- Secretaria de Finanzas del Distrito Federal – Programme for the Modernization of the Mexico City Cadastre – (Mexico City, Mexico)
Sustaining Our Environment
- Shinryo Corporation – Shinryo Eco Renewal Project – (Tokyo, Japan)
Sustaining the Professions
- GHD Pty Ltd – (Melbourne, Australia)
For highlights of the Be InspiredAwards winners for 2011, visit www.bentley.com/beinspiredawards.
For additional information about news announced at Be Inspired, visit www.bentley.com/PressKits.
About Be Inspired: Thought Leadership in Infrastructure
The world’s leading practitioners gathered this week at Be Inspired, Bentley’s premier thought leadership and networking event, in Amsterdam, Netherlands. They shared the best practices behind the successful realization of their current projects and explored new ways to respond to the challenges driving today’s business. Also in attendance were 80 journalists from around the world, who additionally participated in a special media briefing on November 7.
Be Inspired, an intimate, invitation-only event, featured presentations by the Be Inspired Awards finalists as well as executive roundtables focusing on critical issues in business, technology, and practice facing infrastructure professionals around the world. It culminated with an awards ceremony last night recognizing outstanding achievement and innovation in infrastructure design, construction, and operations by winners selected from 57 project finalists by five independent panels of jurors. In total, nominations from 270 organizations in 42 countries were submitted in this year’s awards program.
This annual event provides a unique forum for senior-level executives to learn about the innovations driving the development and operations of the world’s top infrastructure projects. It also enables them to engage with other industry leaders in interactive discussions on topics of importance to the business of sustaining infrastructure. For additional information about the Be Inspired: Thought Leadership in Infrastructure event, visit www.bentley.com/BeInspired.
About Bentley Systems, Incorporated
Bentley is the global leader dedicated to providing architects, engineers, geospatial professionals, constructors, and owner-operators with comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure. Bentley’s mission is to empower its users to leverage information modeling through integrated projects for high-performing intelligent infrastructure. Its solutions encompass the MicroStation platform for infrastructure design and modeling, the ProjectWise platform for infrastructure project team collaboration and work sharing, and the AssetWise platform for infrastructure asset operations – all supporting a broad portfolio of interoperable applications and complemented by worldwide professional services. Founded in 1984, Bentley has grown to nearly 3,000 colleagues in more than 45 countries and $500 million in annual revenues. Since 2001, the company has invested more than $1 billion in research, development, and acquisitions.
Additional information about Bentley is available at www.bentley.com and in Bentley’s annual report. For Bentley news as it happens, subscribe to an RSS feed of Bentley press releases and news alerts. To view a searchable collection of innovative infrastructure projects from the annual Be Inspired Awards, access Bentley’s Year in Infrastructure publications. To access a professional networking site that enables members of the infrastructure community to connect, communicate, and learn from each other, visit Be Communities.
To download the Bentley Infrastructure 500 Top Owners ranking, a unique global compendium of the top public- and private-sector owners of infrastructure based on the value of their cumulative infrastructure investments, visit www.bentley.com/500.
Bentley, the “B” Bentley logo, Be, MicroStation, and ProjectWise are either registered or unregistered trademarks or service marks of Bentley Systems, Incorporated or one of its direct or indirect wholly owned subsidiaries. All other brands and product names are trademarks of their respective owners.