Bentley delivers realdwg and 3d printing support in microstation V8i (SELECTseries 1)
Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the leading company dedicated to providing comprehensive software solutions for the infrastructure that sustains our world, at this invitation-only gathering of top users from around the globe, announced the October 2009 availability of MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries 1). This newest version of MicroStation features innovative and flexible value-creative enhancements for infrastructure professionals highlighted by RealDWG library support and integrated 3D printing capabilities. SELECTseries updates for all Bentley products maintain forward and backward compatibility across the entire V8i lifecycle. They are scheduled independently for each Bentley product and are made available to Bentley SELECT subscribers for adoption at their own pace, to suit project schedules and align with project demands.
Founder and CTO Keith Bentley commented, “Our new V8i (SELECTseries 1) offerings underscore our commitment to provide users with a recurring stream of enhancements. These include 3D printing support and audit tools, the ability to animate using our Luxology rendering engine, and Autodesk’s RealDWG libraries.”
By delivering Autodesk’s RealDWG software within MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries 1) and other Bentley products, Bentley provides its users the highest level of fidelity when reading or writing DWG formats including 2009. At the same time, Bentley fulfills the commitment it made in July of 2008, through its interoperability agreement with Autodesk, to improve architectural, engineering, and construction (AEC) workflows by:
- Enabling broader reuse of information generated during the design, construction, and operation of buildings and infrastructure, and
- Enhancing the ability of project teams to choose among multiple software sources.
Further interoperability enhancements featured in MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries 1) include object enabler support to display data from Autodesk’s ARX applications, and new reference file support for ESRI SHP, as well as MIF, MID, and TAB file formats. In addition, MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries 1) is able to produce i-models – the new “containers” for open infrastructure information exchange – and to aggregate comments registered against them in dynamic collaboration workflows. These capabilities will lead to expanded information reuse, improved process and workflow efficiency, and increased project quality.
MicroStation V8i (SELECTseries 1) also extends existing core capabilities introduced in V8i including:
- Intrinsic geo-coordination (to synchronize and coordinate true and projected coordinate systems, so that all infrastructure designs are referenced and may be managed geographically) is further facilitated with the addition of ESRI SHP file referencing, and geospatial PDF is now supported, empowering users to leverage geo-intelligence and enrich project deliverables.
- Interactive dynamic views (which slices and filters 3D models) is extended and optimized to streamline the drawing production process by providing automated drawing composition.
- Intuitive design modeling (facilitated with tools that are easier to use and provide better feedback) has been enhanced by introducing explicit support for 3D printing, to automate creation of physical prototypes. Importantly, 3D-audit tools enable the designer to validate the integrity of the model, and the suitability to the medium, prior to printing, saving time and money.
- Interactive Luxology rendering engine (which produces highest-quality images in near real time) is further leveraged to distribute rendering on multiple computers, saving time and improving team efficiency. Also, professional-quality animation has been added to enhance project realism, and support is provided for up to 32 cores, with users benefiting from linear performance gains across each one.
All of this additional value created in MicroStationV8i (SELECTseries 1) helps users provide increasing project quality in sustaining infrastructure.