WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) today announced more than 100 speakers covering the latest in industrial biotechnology at the 2012 Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy. The Summit will present four plenary sessions featuring international executives and academic leaders in industrial biotechnology October 10-12 at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, Canada.
“Vancouver is an ideal location for this year’s conference with its fast-growing and successful life sciences and biotech industries and a robust forest biomass supply,” said Brent Erickson, executive vice president for BIO’s Industrial & Environmental Section. “Our outstanding line-up of plenary sessions will highlight the growing biobased economy as we learn about advances in biofuels, renewable chemicals and synthetic biology. Industrial biotechnology can reduce dependence on foreign oil and also benefits consumers by revitalizing manufacturing and creating new opportunities for agriculture, generating jobs, making greener products and cleaner processes.”
Status Report: The Synthetic Biology Pathway to Innovation in Fuels and Chemicals
Wednesday, October 10, 12 – 2:15PM
- Dr. Robert Carlson, Principal, Biodiesic
- Dr. Grace Colon, President of Industrial Products Division, Senior Vice President, Intrexon
- Dr. Patrick Yitzi Cai, Senior Scientific Consultant, Beijing Genomics Institute, Shenzhen, Postdoctoral Fellow, John Hopkins University School of Medicine
Flying green: Why Airlines See a Bright Future in Biofuels
Thursday, October 11, 8 – 9:30AM
- Ross MacFarlane, Senior Advisor, Business Partnerships, Climate Solutions
- Michael Lakeman, Regional Director, Biofuel Strategy, Boeing Commercial Airlines
- Paul Whitty, Director of Fuel Purchasing and Supply, Air Canada (invited)
- Bruce Parry, Manager, Corporate and Social Responsibility, Bombardier (invited)
- Hitoshi Kawahara, VP, Alliances & International Affairs, All Nippon Airways (invited)
- Christina Kim, Asiana Airlines (invited)
Overcoming Regional Biomass Feedstock Supply Challenges with Public Policy and Science
Thursday, October 11, 11:30AM – 1:45PM
- Paul Lansbergen, Association Secretary, Director (Energy, Economics, and Climate Change), Forest Products Association of Canada
- Desmond King, President, Chevron Technology Ventures
- Dr. Trevor Stuthridge, General Manager, Sustainable Design, Scion
- Linda Beltz, Director, Technology Partnerships, Weyerhaeuser
- Ross MacLachlan, President and CEO, Lignol (invited)
Biotechnology and Renewable Chemicals: The Future is Now
Friday, October 12, 10AM – 12PM
- William H. Baum, Chief Business Development Officer, Genomatica (invited)
- Charles R. Eggert, President and CEO, OPX Bio
- Dr. Deborah Mielewski, Technical Leader for Plastics Research at the Ford Motor Company (invited)
- Bando Takehiko, Director of Strategy and Planning, Sustainable Resources Business Development, Mitsubishi Chemical (invited)
Now in its seventh year, the Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy will address the latest issues in industrial biotechnology, including algae, advanced biofuels, biopolymers and bioplastics, dedicated energy crops, green chemistry, and synthetic biology. The annual Pacific Rim Summit is the original conference dedicated solely to growth of the industrial biotechnology sector in Asia and the Americas. Visit http://bio.org/pacrim.
In addition to the plenary sessions, the Pacific Rim Summit will bring you four breakout tracks with 24 sessions, designed to keep you on the cutting edge of industrial biotech. New in 2012- The Technical Presentations Track will feature 20 minute talks from academics, private sector scientists and researchers.
Registration is now open. Early bird rates are available through August 13.
Media registration is now open and available by contacting Colleen Lerro at email@example.com. Complimentary media registration is available to editors and reporters with valid press credentials working full time for print, broadcast or web publications.
BIO represents more than 1,100 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, state biotechnology centers and related organizations across the United States and in more than 30 other nations. BIO members are involved in the research and development of innovative healthcare, agricultural, industrial and environmental biotechnology products. BIO also produces the BIO International Convention, the world’s largest gathering of the biotechnology industry, along with industry-leading investor and partnering meetings held around the world. BIO produces BIOtechNOW, an online portal and monthly newsletter chronicling “innovations transforming our world.” Subscribe to BIOtechNOW.
Upcoming BIO Events
BIO India International Conference
September 12 – 13, 2012
Livestock Biotech Summit
September 19 – 21, 2012
Kansas City, MO
BIO Investor Forum
October 9 – 10, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy
October 10 – 12, 2012
The BIO Convention in China
October 24 – 25, 2012
BIO IP Counsels Committee Fall Conference
November 12 – 14, 2012