As charities are faced with an increased demand in services with just a slight recovery in giving in 2010, Blackbaud Inc. (Nasdaq: BLKB), has a renewed focus on its corporate value 'service to others makes the world a better place.' Blackbaud, the leading global provider of nonprofit software and services, is in its fourth decade of helping nonprofit organizations deliver on their missions. Just this year, the company participated in countless philanthropic initiatives; from donating over 4,469 toys during the holidays, and launching the Nonprofit Leadership Circle, to receiving the Green Business Pioneer Award.
'It has been a challenging year for nonprofit organizations as they worked to meet increased need,' said Rachel Hutchisson, Blackbaud's director of corporate citizenship and philanthropy. 'The employees of Blackbaud see that need, every day, in their work with our customers, and it makes us all more focused on doing what we can - wherever we are located - to make a difference both professionally and personally.'
During the holidays, Blackbaud employees gave generously around the globe. The Charleston, Cambridge, and San Diego offices donated toys to Toys for Tots. The Indianapolis office donated toys to the Shepherd Community Center, a nonprofit focused on breaking the cycle of poverty. The Blackbaud team in Sydney worked with the Vincentian House, an organization that assists families who are homeless. Blackbaud's London and Glasgow offices donated time to local children's hospitals, St. Evelina Trust and Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Yorkhill). The Amsterdam office partnered with Voedselloket Almere to provide relief to children in need during the holiday season.
Blackbaud remains committed to programs developed to support and encourage employees to give back all year long:
- In 2010, more than 90 percent of Blackbaud employees volunteered at a nonprofit organization, totaling an estimated 100,000 volunteer hours.
- In November, Blackbaud announced its commitment to the growth of the company's corporate citizenship.
- At its annual Conference for Nonprofits in October, Blackbaud lived the value of the conference theme 'Better Together' by directing more than $200,000 in expenses back to nonprofit organizations while seeking ways to preserve the environment and incorporate a service project into the event.
- On September 11, Greenbaud, Blackbaud's grassroots employee environmental team, cleaned-up a two-mile stretch of beach on Isle of Palms, SC as part of the company's Adopt-a-Beach program. One hundred fifty employees worked on projects at 10 nonprofits in the Charleston area in support of Trident United Way's National Day of Caring on September 14.
- In August, a team of employees developed a garden, called Blackbaud Sprouts, where several vegetables and seasonal crops were planted, harvested, then donated to the Charleston-based nonprofit, Fields to Families. Blackbaud was also presented with The Green Business Pioneer Award by the City of Charleston and the Charleston County Council in August because of its work stewarding and protecting Charleston's environment and resources through achievable business practices. Blackbaud is currently participating in the Charleston Green Business Challenge, which is a voluntary opportunity for businesses of all types and sizes to pursue sustainability and green-driven strategies, while improving business performance.
- In May, Blackbaud launched the Nonprofit Leadership Circle, a group of employees who voluntarily serve on nonprofit boards of directors. The Charleston office also hosted a community-wide volunteer fair, matching employees and members of the community with nonprofit volunteer opportunities.
- In January, Blackbaud announced a partnership with the Charleston Battery professional soccer team, featuring a different philanthropic theme and 'nonprofit-of-the-match' at every home match of the season.
With existing programs that support volunteerism and nonprofit involvement, Blackbaud's renewed corporate citizenship commitment is to:
- Deliver products and solutions that help do good by offering free technology solutions, including BlackbaudNow and the starter version of eTapestry to more than 8,000 nonprofit organizations, providing The Blackbaud Index, and partnering with NetHope to support efforts in deploying technology to aid in disaster relief.
- Be a good steward of the environment by implementing green business practices; educating employees about green practices; encouraging employees to serve as volunteers; supporting Greenbaud and Blackbaud Sprouts.
- Serve others both through good business practices and through philanthropy by enabling employees to earn extra vacation days with its Volunteer for Vacation program; supporting Team Blackbaud, a grassroots employee volunteerism program; and offering Reward Your Passion grants to nonprofits where employees volunteer throughout the world.
For more information on Blackbaud's corporate citizenship, visit www.blackbaud.com/corporatecitizenship.
Blackbaud is the leading global provider of software and services designed specifically for nonprofit organizations, enabling them to improve operational efficiency, build strong relationships, and raise more money to support their missions. Approximately 24,000 organizations - including Yale University, American Red Cross, Cancer Research UK, The Taft School, Lincoln Center, The Salvation Army, Tulsa Community Foundation, Ursinus College, Earthjustice, International Fund for Animal Welfare, and the WGBH Educational Foundation - use one or more Blackbaud products and services for fundraising, constituent relationship management, financial management, website management, direct marketing, education administration, ticketing, business intelligence, prospect research, consulting, and analytics. Since 1981, Blackbaud's sole focus and expertise has been partnering with nonprofits and providing them the solutions they need to make a difference in their local communities and worldwide. Headquartered in the United States, Blackbaud also has operations in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit www.blackbaud.com.