Bloomberg New Energy Finance Honors Ten New Energy Pioneers
Global Companies Recognized for Their Commitment to the Field of Clean Energy, Technology and Innovation
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the world's leading provider of news, data and analysis on the clean energy and carbon markets, today announced its selections of 2011 New Energy Pioneers at the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Summit in New York City.
In its second year, the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Pioneers program identifies companies from across the world that are making significant gains in the field of clean technology and innovation. A panel of industry experts, led by Bloomberg New Energy Finance technology specialists, chose the honorees by assessing them against three criteria: potential scale, innovation and momentum.
This year’s winners represent a broad range of industries including bioenergy, energy, smart technologies, water and solar. Each of the New Energy Pioneers has worked to develop unique technologies and has demonstrated the potential for these technologies to be competitive in the marketplace and implemented on a large scale.
'The panel chose these companies because we feel they are potential game-changers,' said Michael Liebreich, Summit Chairman and Head of Bloomberg New Energy Finance. 'In this fast-evolving sector, the Pioneers will play a significant role in the world's transition to a lower carbon energy system.'
The 2011 New Energy Pioneers are:
- BrightSource Energy BrightSource Energy designs, develops, builds and sells large-scale solar thermal power systems that deliver reliable, clean energy to utilities and industrial companies worldwide.
- eMeter's data management software delivers a fast, cost effective path to smart metering. The platform allows utilities and their customers to manage energy consumption, balance loads, and increase efficiency across the grid.
- Epuramat provides systems for the treatment of municipal wastewater and industrial process water. The patented ExSep® technology enables industrial companies to re-process and re-use water with limited energy and chemical demand. This reduces fresh water needs and wastewaterfees. Epuramat is currently performing oil water separation tests in a demonstration plant, and expects a boost in demand following recent tests conducted on behalf on its clients.
- Green Biologics has developed an advanced fermentation process to convert readily available waste and agricultural by-product feedstocks into high value chemicals and biofuels. GBL focuses on the production of butanol, a widely used chemical and advanced next-generation biofuel with superior fuel and sustainability characteristics. Green Biologics’ technology likewise aims to produce biochemicals and biofuels from sustainable feedstocks at a lower cost than their petroleum equivalents.
- Metabolix has pioneered the creation of Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA)-based plastics and chemicals, which will enable the displacement of petroleum-based feedstocks. At Metabolix, PHAs are produced via fermentation of sugars, or expressed directly in crops. Fermentation feedstocks can be sugars derived from corn, or lignocellulosic sugars derived from energy crops. In a technical breakthrough, the company has successfully expressed PHAs in both biomass and industrial oil seed crops.
- On-Ramp Wireless has developed the Ultra-Link Processing™ (ULP) system to address a broad spectrum of device communications applications from Smart Grid and other energy efficiency applications, to process automation and homeland security. Deployment of the ULP system can significantly help monitor and lower energy consumption across utilities and energy intensive industries.
- Redwood Systems is re-inventing smart lighting by powering, communicating and controlling LEDs over networks, for maximum energy savings and improved building performance. Their solution fundamentally changes the way we wire, power, and intelligently control commercial lighting.
- SAGE Electrochromics - SAGE is the world’s leading developer of dynamic window glass that optimizes daylight, improves the human experience within buildings and reduces energy consumption.
- TaKaDu helps water utilities worldwide take control of their networks by giving real-time knowledge and alerts about leaks and other problems in their water distribution infrastructure. TaKaDu’s Software-as-a-Service solution is quick to set up and easy to use. It requires no changes to existing equipment or upfront investment.
- Winafrique is an end-to-end renewable energy solutions integrator. The company is commercializing off-grid power systems through small-scale hybrid renewable energy storage using flow batteries.
The Bloomberg New Energy Finance Pioneers Program is sponsored by AutoDesk and Morrison & Foerster.
About Bloomberg New Energy Finance
Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) is the world’s leading independent provider of news, data, research and analysis to decision-makers in renewable energy, energy smart technologies, carbon markets, carbon capture and storage and nuclear power. Bloomberg New Energy Finance has staff of more than 180, based in London, Washington D.C., New York, Tokyo, Beijing, New Delhi, Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney, Cape Town, São Paulo and Zurich.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance Insight Services provide deep market analysis to investors in wind, solar, bioenergy, geothermal, carbon capture and storage, energy efficiency, and nuclear power. The group offers Insight Services for each of the major emerging carbon markets: European, Global Kyoto, Australia, and the U.S., where it covers the planned regional markets as well as potential federal initiatives and the voluntary carbon market. Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s Industry Intelligence Service provides access to the world’s most comprehensive database of investors and investments in clean energy and carbon. The News and Briefing Service is the leading global news service focusing on clean energy investment. The group also undertakes applied research on behalf of clients and runs senior-level networking events.
New Energy Finance Limited was acquired by Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009, and its services and products are now owned and distributed by Bloomberg Finance L.P., except that Bloomberg L.P. and its subsidiaries (BLP) distribute these products in Argentina, Bermuda, China, India, Japan, and Korea.
For more information on Bloomberg New Energy Finance: http://www.bnef.com.
Bloomberg is the world’s most trusted source of information for financial professionals and businesses. Bloomberg combines innovative technology with unmatched analytics, data, news, and display and distribution capabilities, to deliver critical information via the Bloomberg Professional service and multimedia platforms, including Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets magazines. Bloomberg's media properties span television, radio, digital and print, making up one of the world’s largest news organizations. Headquartered in New York, the company employs more than 12,900 people in 166 locations around the world.