Broward firefighter hospitalized after Dania Beach chlorine call
Dania Beach -- A member of the Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue hazmat team was transported to a local hospital after responding to reports of a strong smell of chlorine at the city's water treatment facility on Monday.
The firefighter, who was not identified, was taken to Broward General Medical Center on Monday for a medical issue and not because of exposure to the chlorine, said agency spokesman Mike Jachles.
Paramedics could be seen examining several people at the scene.
The team responded to the Dania Beach Public Services complex located along the 1200 block of Stirling Road shortly before noon on Monday after someone reported a strong smell of chlorine in the area, Jachles said.
Plant manager Daniel Cherian said he noted a 'minor leak' from one of the tanks inside the facility and called rescue workers mostly out of precaution.
The incident was cleared in about three hours. Traffic on Stirling Road was not being affected.