Gasmet Technologies decided to meet this challenge with a novel approach together with the Technical Research Centre of Finland (VTT). The goal of the project was to design an analyzer system that would incorporate the latest technical advances in both analytical methods and stack gas sampling.
The result of this joint effort is the Gasmet CMM (Continuous Mercury Monitor), which relies on the Cold Vapor Atomic Fluorescence technology (CVAF). Whereas traditional mercury CEMS have relied on technology such as Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy, which is susceptible to interference from other compounds such as SO2 and HCl, CVAF is free from interference from these gases. In addition, the exceptional sensitivity of CVAF to Hg allows dilution of the sample gas, avoiding many of the problems that are commonly associated with sample treatment systems.
Right from the beginning of the R&D process, the Gasmet CMM has been designed to exceed the requirements of U.S. EPA PS-12A and / or Part 75 provisions. For example, all systemcomponents which are in contact with the sample gas are made of inert materials. Also, all sample conditioning takes place in the sample probe –this ensures further, that sample gas composition change is virtually eliminated.
Gasmet CMM Key Features:
CVAF (Cold Vapor Atomic Fluorescence) measurement technology
- Continuous Measurement of total Mercury in flue gas
- Low detection limits (nanograms per Nm3)
- Specific to mercury – virtually no interference from SO2 and HCl
Direct & cost-effective sampling procedure
- No need for chemicals, gold amalgamation concentrators or scrubbers
- Sample gas is diluted at the probe with regular instrument air – separate (and expensive) dilution gas is not required
- Conversion of Hg2+ (mercury chloride) to Hg0 with thermal catalytic conversion
Truly modular construction
- All units mounted in 19' racks – easy to service & upgrade
- Each system built to customer specification in order to meet site specific requirements
- Sampling system is not vendor specific – different options available
- Support for a wide range of data transfer protocols – both analog and digital
- Remote Connection included as standard – avoidance of unnecessary service visits & increased peace-of-mind