Gasket Failure Causes Release of Hydrogen Sulfide Gases at CEP Customer
Firefighters evacuated thousands of workers from nearby office buildings after a gasket failure led to a hydrogen sulfide gas leak on Monday morning at Heartland Petroleum’s rerefining facility in Columbus, Ohio. During a re-start process, a gasket failed and a cloud of steam released. Because the steam contained hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide, the management immediately implemented a safety plan which involved evacuating the facility and notifying authorities and the neighbors. The hydrotreater from where the potentially poisonous gases leaked was designed, specified and licensed by Chemical Engineering Partners, Inc (CEP) of Irvine CA.
Sequoia does not recommend use of gasketed joints in the high-pressure loop of the hydrotreater. Sequoia has always recommended ring-type joints (RTJ) which do not include a gasket and may have prevented this type of dangerous leak.