GreenTec Awards 2014: Winners Announced
The GreenTec Awards were presented at the Internationales Congress Center München (ICM) on the evening of May 4. The green environmental summit attracted plenty of prominent personalities to the trade-fair center. The GreenTec Awards are the glamorous kick-off event for IFAT, the world's largest trade fair for environmental technology, which takes place at the Messe München trade-fair center from May 5–9.
Laudators and guests included former swimming World Champion and association founder Franziska van Almsick, top model Franziska Knuppe, international renowned environmental activist David Mayer de Rothschild, soccer player and benefactor Christoph Metzelder, Managing Director of Borussia Dortmund Hans-Joachim Watzke, moderator and actress Nova Meierhenrich and moderators Janine Steeger, Anastasia Zampounidis and Stefan Gödde.
Rea Garvey, who gave a live performance from his new album, 'Pride,' presented the Special Award for Music to ambient artist Schiller for his musical contribution on the topic of nature and environmental protection. Moderators Nina Eichinger and Matthias Killing were charming as hosts of the evening's festivities. Peter Altmaier, Head of the Office of the German Chancellery, and Klaus Dittrich, Chairman and CEO of Messe München, held opening addresses. And Günther Oettinger, EU Commissioner for Energy, presented the IFAT Environmental Leadership Award. Then Eugen Egetenmeir, Managing Director at Messe München, gave the audience a brief look at IFAT, which was starting the next day.
The winners of the GreenTec Awards 2014 are as follows:
- Automobility Category: RUBIN from Continental Reifen Deutschland GmbHpromotes the cultivation and utilization of dandelions to make natural rubber.
- Construction & Living Category: Carbon Concrete Composite (C3) from theInstitute for Solid Construction, TU Dresden, for a new composite material made of carbon and high-performance concrete.
- Energy Category: The Battery Park from Younicos (in cooperation with Schwerin-based green utility WEMAG) will help to integrate more renewable energy into existing grids.
- Communication Category: Strom09 – Volle Pulle Zukunft mit dem BVB fromLichtBlick SE, is a joint project with BVB, the objective of which is to reduce CO2 emissions by 25,000 tons per year.
- Lifestyle Category: 'Bio-Nature' straws from Bio-Strohhalme.com bring back the original straw to eliminate 25,000 tons of plastic waste created by plastic beverage straws.
- Aviation Category: E-PORT AN – Electromobility at the Frankfurt Airport fromthe Lufthansa Group, Fraport AG, the State of Hesse and the Rhine-Main Electromobility Model Region focuses on significantly reducing pollutants emitted vehicles used for handling of aircraft on apron.
- Production Category: Factory of the Future – Intelligently linking production and buildings from Weidmüller Interface GmbH & Co. KG. Using its production facilities, which were completed in 2011, this entry demonstrated how integrating production and infrastructure can reduce energy requirements by up to 95 percent.
- Recycling & Resources Category: Separate of composite materials using microemulsion from Saperatec GmbH is a technical innovation that allows the separation and recovery of composite materials, which was not possible until now.
- Water & Sewage Category: PUROO power-saving wastewater treatment plantfrom ATB Umwelttechnologien GmbH is a plant that overcomes the shortcomings of current systems, requires fewer electrical components and uses at least 50 percent less electricity.
- Special Galileo Wissenspreis Award (ProSieben): Bees Go Balcony – An urban home for bee populations from Balkonbienen makes it possible for everyone who has a balcony to keep bees and produce and harvest their own honey.
- Special IFAT Environmental Leadership Award: Club of Rome for its active commitment to a sustainable future since 1968.
- Special intelligent urbanization Award: Energy-efficient utilization of surplus heat in the district heating network of the Chinese city of Anshan from Danfoss.
- Special Award Music: Schiller for songs that raise environmental awareness
- Special Start-up Award: akvoFloatTM from akvolution GmbH is a project that promotes more affordable seawater desalination.
- WWF Special Award: Stadtbiene 2.0 from o’pflanzt is! e. V. is an urban communal garden where bees can be kept ecologically and where wild bees and bumblebees can feed and nest.
Additional information is available at: www.ifat.de