Inspect for Common Interior Sources of Water Leaks to Prevent Damage in Homes and Commercial Buildings
The insurance claims and building science professionals at Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters provide advice to help prevent property damage.
Mesa, AZ -- Water damage in all types of buildings is one of the most common causes for an insurance claim. It can be caused by everything from a natural flooding event or indoor plumbing leak to a sewer backup, faulty hot water heater and numerous other reasons.
Water can destroy building materials, furnishing and belongings. Its presence can even lead to costly structural damage. Depending on the source of water, it may contain bacteria, fungi, viruses and chemical contaminants.
“While there may be few things that property owners can do in flood prone areas to prevent a natural flood, aside from having flood insurance coverage, there are precautions that can be taken to help prevent water damage from interior sources,” said Tom Allen from Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters, LLC. “An ounce of prevention may prevent tens of thousands of dollars in damages.”
Mr. Allen provides the following advice:
- he water heater should be regularly inspected for signs of leaks and corrosion. Drip pans installed below the water heater that drain to the outside can prevent costly damage. Check the life expectancy of the water heater and consider replacing it at the end of its useful life.
- Regularly check washing machine hoses and be sure to replace them if there are any signs of cracking or bulging.
- Inspect ice maker connections for signs of damage and replace when necessary.
- If the property has an air conditioner, be sure the drain lines are not clogged.
- Check under sinks, garbage disposals and around tubs and showers for any signs of leaks.
- Inspect around drinking fountains and toilets and check the toilet’s internal components for any signs of leaks, wear or damage.
- Check basements and crawl spaces for signs of leaks, moisture and elevated humidity levels.
- Inspect any exposed plumbing for signs of condensation, corrosion and leaks.
- Consider having the property’s sewer line inspected for any signs of failure and existing blockages to prevent a sewer backup.
Residential and commercial property owners in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey can turn to the professionals at Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters for expert assistance in resolving insurance claims due to water and other types of property damage. Their services help to ensure that property owners obtain the most accurate and complete insurance settlement possible. Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters also recently sponsored an educational video about common interior sources of water damage that can be seen at: http://youtu.be/amCCFegjIcs
To learn more about how the licensed public adjusters at Hudson Douglas can settle insured property claims quickly and for the fair maximum value, please visit www.HudsonDouglasPublicAdjusters.com, email claims@HudsonDouglas.com or call (800) 898-4290.
About Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters, LLC
With more than 50 years of experience in the construction and disaster restoration industries, the founders of Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters provide policy holders with professional representation to efficiently manage and settle insured claims. Hudson Douglas’ public adjusters are licensed to offer these services to residential and commercial customers in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.