Ventura County customers to start 2010 out the right way by pledging to cut back daily water use and learn more about water conservation. Making a New Year’s resolution to save water and limit water use is good for the environment and the pocketbook.
Our local water supplies have been cut by 15 percent, which means each of us needs to reduce our water use by 15 percent. If you resolve to save water, we can help you keep your resolution. Over the next several weeks you will see newspaper ads, mailers, door hangers and inserts in your water bill letting you know how we can help you with water-saving audits, rebates and other information.
California American Water is asking its customers to take a stand and resolve to make this upcoming year different for our state’s water sources, the environment and to begin living a water conscious lifestyle. “Although we have had some recent rains, we are a long way from being out of the drought,” said Al Yañez, California American Water’s operations manager in Ventura County. “Customers can use this resolution as a two-fer, saving water and money.”
California American Water has made it a priority to help its Ventura County customers reduce their water use by 15 percent and is committed to providing them with the necessary programs and resources to meet that goal. Some simple suggestions to carry out a resolution to conserve:
- Water before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m. to prevent water evaporation.
- Limit watering to 15 minutes outdoors each day per station. Use a weather based controller to prevent overwatering during wet weather.
- Use a hose nozzle with a shut off valve while washing your vehicles.
- Turn off decorative water features unless they re-circulate water.
- Repair your leaks immediately. This could save you hundreds of gallons of wasted water a month.
- Avoid water waste by doing your best to limit water use while doing yard work. Don’t allow water to runoff onto sidewalks, driveways or gutters. Use a broom instead of a hose to wash down paved surfaces.
- Pick up free water-saving shower heads, hose nozzles and faucet aerators at our local office.
California American Water offers rebates on water-saving appliances, free water wise surveys, leak detection kits for toilets, and other conservation tools and ideas. Customers can sign-up for these services by stopping by the California American Water.
“With small adjustments to their daily routine, customers can reduce their water use, help save a natural resource and lower their water bill. “ Yañez added. “We want our customers to start the new year off right and make a New Year’s resolution to save water and money.”