Cochrane & Associates, LLC

Mold Issues at an Arizona Hotel Result in Arson

0

Source: Cochrane & Associates, LLC

The indoor environmental quality (IEQ) professionals at Clark Seif Clark (CSC) provide mold and indoor air quality (IAQ) testing services.

In January the New Times reported a man staying at a Phoenix hotel was accused of setting fire to his room.  The accused man is the same person who allegedly called 911 to report the fire. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze before much damage was done to the property and before anyone was hurt.  When fire investigators arrived at the scene they questioned the suspect.  The man initially denied any involvement in the fire, but eventually admitted he set the fire to draw attention to a mold problem at the hotel due to a water leak.

“Mold can grow anywhere there is water incursion or condensation from elevated humidity,” reported Derrick A. Denis, V.P. Indoor Environmental Quality at Clark Seif Clark (CSC), a leading provider of mold and indoor air quality (IAQ) investigations.  “We’ve seen the frustration that mold issues can create for both building owners and occupants. Fortunately, few people lash out to the extremes of the alleged arsonist in Arizona,” he continued.

Mold is a natural part of the outdoor environment, but can be hazardous when found in high concentrations in indoor environments.  Since many people spend as much as 90% of their time in indoor environments, sometimes even a small amount of mold contamination can cause adverse reactions for sensitized populations. 

Elevated concentrations of mold in indoor environments can cause a host of medical conditions ranging from allergic reactions to fungal infections and possibly to intoxication.  Preventing and minimizing mold growth indoors can help protect those who are already sensitive to mold exposure or could otherwise become sensitized. 

 

Customer comments

No comments were found for Mold Issues at an Arizona Hotel Result in Arson. Be the first to comment!