WESTERVILLE, OH -- The National Ground Water Association congratulates the recipients of its annual Awards of Excellence, Outstanding Groundwater Project Awards, and Divisional Awards, which will be presented this December during the NGWA Groundwater Expo and Annual Meeting in Nashville, Tennessee.
Long-time NGWA member Ronald B. Peterson has received the Association’s top honor as the 2013 recipient of the Ross L. Oliver Award for outstanding contributions to the groundwater industry. Peterson is an employee of Baroid Industrial Drilling Products out of South Jordan, Utah.
The other 2013 NGWA award recipients follow.
Awards of Excellence:
- Chunmiao Zheng, Ph.D., professor at the University of Alabama and professor/chair and director at the Center for Water Resources, Peking University, China — M. King Hubbert Award for major science contributions to the knowledge of groundwater
- Arthur E. Becker, MGWC, CPG, general manager, Environmental Drilling Division, SGS North America — Robert Storm Interdivisional Cooperation Award
- Gregory D. Buffington, PE, Layne Christensen Co., Aurora, Illinois; Leonard Konikow, Ph.D., U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia; and Evan Nyer, retired from ARCADIS, Tampa, Florida — Life Member Awards
- Steve Maslansky, Maslansky Geoenvironmental, Prescott, Arizona — Individual Safety Advocate Award
- Michael Gefell, ARCADIS, Lakewood, Colorado — Technology Award
- Wes McCall, Geoprobe Systems, Salina, Kansas — Special Recognition Award
- U.S. Senator Bernard Sanders (I-Vermont) — Groundwater Protector Award (this award was presented earlier this year during the 2013 NGWA Washington Fly-in that took place in February)
- Carl Lee, Milby Co., Elkridge, Maryland — Standard Bearer Award.
Outstanding Groundwater Project Awards:
- City of Phoenix, City of Phoenix Aquifer Storage and Recovery Wells — Groundwater Supply Award
- ARCADIS, Numerical Analysis of Groundwater/Surface Water Interference at Blackfoot Bridge Project — Groundwater Protection Award
- ARCADIS, Protection of Public Supply Well Installation Relative to Superfund Sites — Groundwater Remediation Award.
- John Selker, Ph.D., Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon, and Scott Tyler, Ph.D., University of Reno, Reno, Nevada — John Hem Excellence in Science & Engineering Award for significant scientific or engineering contributions to the understanding of groundwater
- Brent Murray, PG, Environmental Quality Inc., Tequesta, Florida — Keith E. Anderson Award for outstanding contributions to NGWA’s Scientists and Engineers Division
- Mike Benet, North American Specialty Products, Willow Park, Texas — Manufacturers Division Special Recognition Award
- Jim Paulhus, F.W. Webb, Cranston, Rhode Island — Supplier of the Year Award.
Read more about NGWA awards, which honor the best of the best in the groundwater industry, at www.NGWA.org/Awards.
NGWA, a nonprofit organization composed of U.S. and international groundwater professionals — contractors, equipment manufacturers, suppliers, scientists, and engineers — is dedicated to advancing groundwater knowledge. NGWA’s vision is to be the leading groundwater association that advocates the responsible development, management, and use of water.