This initiative encompasses comprehensive application-focused solutions with innovative thought leadership and public outreach programs that will bring insights from top scientists, industry experts and government agencies directly to customers. One key component of the initiative is to deliver analyzers that combine the necessary product offerings with the applications, methodologies, standard operating procedures and training required to complete specific analyses in food and consumer product safety, water quality and sustainable energy development.
“Whether it’s tainted pet food, lead in toys or cosmetics, contaminated drinking water or the commercialization of renewable energy sources, PerkinElmer is aggressively identifying and supporting the needs of scientists to help ensure a healthy and safe environment,” said Sandra Rasmussen, Director, EcoAnalytix and Strategic Programs, PerkinElmer Life and Analytical Sciences.
To demonstrate key aspects of this initiative, a select set of market-specific EcoAnalytix solutions will be featured at the booth.
EcoAnalytix Food Safety Solutions
PerkinElmer will be featuring its industry-first EcoAnalytix Melamine Analyzer, based on the Clarus® 600 T Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer (GC/MS), an analytical solution for the determination of melamine adulteration in protein-based foods.
EcoAnalytix Consumer Safety Solutions
The EcoAnalytix PlaySafe™ Analyzer based on the Optima™ Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectrometer (ICP-OES) helps ensure consumer safety by verifying the amount of heavy metals, such as lead, in a particular consumer product.
EcoAnalytix Water Analysis Solutions
Water analysis offerings include:
- EcoAnalytix PAH Analyzer, a preconfigured High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)-based platform for the analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), organic pollutants widely distributed in the environment that can be carcinogenic at certain levels.
- EcoAnalytix Trace Metal Water Analyzer, based on Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) to rapidly screen for the 12 elements commonly regulated in drinking water.
- The LAMBDATM XLS UV/Vis spectrophotometer, based on ultra-violet spectrometry and designed for rapid full wavelength scans in classic water applications for determination of total nitrogen and phosphates.
EcoAnalytix Sustainable Energy Solutions
PerkinElmer’s sustainable energy efforts include initiatives that address challenges as diverse as the creation of high-quality biodiesel to the development of advanced coatings for solar energy panels.
PerkinElmer showcases two significant biodiesel analysis platforms designed to enable manufacturers to test the quality of their product to meet both American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and European Union regulations. The ASTM and EU biodiesel platforms include:
- ·EcoAnalytix Glycerin and Residual Alcohol Biodiesel Analyzer – based on the Clarus® 500 GC for the analysis of free and total glycerin and residual alcohol in biodiesel.
- EcoAnalytix Trace Metals Biodiesel Analyzer – based on the Optima™ 2100 ICP-Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES) for testing Group I and Group II metals and phosphorus.
- LABWORKS Green™ a pre-configured software application specifically for the biofuels industry
- EcoAnalytix FAME Biodiesel Analyzer (for ASTM only) – based on the Spectrum™ 100 FT-IR System for analyzing the properties of biodiesel fuel that are determined by structure of its fatty acid methyl esters including ignition quality, heat of combustion, cold flow, oxidative stability, viscosity and lubricity.
The new LAMBDA™ 1050, another sustainable energy solution, is a UV/Vis/NIR spectrophotometer that will help material scientists in a diverse range of industries to accelerate the development of engineered materials including those designed to improve energy conservation or harness renewable energy sources. PerkinElmer also offers the IR Specular Reflection Set accessory for the Spectrum™ 100. It helps manufacturers of architectural and automotive glass demonstrate the energy efficiency of their products to ensure they meet national and international regulations for the use of low emissivity (Low-E) glass.
PerkinElmer also highlights two of its key strategic partnerships in the areas of water quality and biofuels:
- PerkinElmer is partnering with the Water Environment Federation’s (WEF) and the International Water Association’s (IWA) World Water Monitoring Day™ (WWMD). At PITTCON®, PerkinElmer hosted a Water Consortium and as part of their partnership and PerkinElmer and WEF are making a joint donation of Water Monitoring Kits to 120 New Orleans-area teachers during PITTCON’s Science Week Teacher Workshops.
- PerkinElmer is the official analytical instrument supplier and fuel and lubricants certification partner of the Indy Racing League, IndyCar® Series, Indy Pro Series® and the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. The IndyCar® Series, which has been recognized for its technical leadership in automobile racing, is now the motor sports leader in renewable and environmentally responsible fuel produced in America. With the help of technical expertise from PerkinElmer, the IndyCar® Series became the first major series to switch to 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol in 2007. PerkinElmer will be showcasing the IndyCar® Series' Target Chip Ganassi Racing cutaway car in the biofuels section of the Company’s PITTCON® booth.