U.S. EPA proposes Allied Landfill Cleanup Plan; accepting comments
Chicago -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is issuing a proposed plan to clean up the Allied Paper Landfill in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a part of the Allied Paper/Portage Creek/Kalamazoo River Superfund site.
Between Sept. 30 and Dec. 1, EPA will accept public comments on the proposed plan, which is available for review at: http://www.epa.gov/region5/cleanup/alliedpaper/index.html
The Agency will make its proposal final only after reviewing all comments, which can be submitted as follows:
- By mail: Diane Russell, Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA Region 5 804 S. Hamilton St., Suite 111, Saginaw, MI 48602.
- Via the Web: http://www.epa.gov/region5/cleanup/alliedpaper/pubcomment.html
- At EPA’s public hearing, Thursday, Nov. 19, 6 p.m., Washington Writers’ Academy, 1919 Portage St., Kalamazoo. Agency representatives will make a formal presentation and accept written and oral comments.
EPA’s recommended cleanup plan includes consolidating and capping material containing PCBs and other contaminants and installing a groundwater-monitoring network. Areas of the former landfill would be available for future reuse and redevelopment.
EPA will hold two community roundtable meetings in Kalamazoo to discuss the plan:
- Thursday, Oct. 15, 6 p.m., Washington Writers’ Academy, 1919 Portage St., Kalamazoo.
- Thursday, Oct. 22, 6 p.m., Hispanic American Council, St. Joseph Parish Gymnasium, 930 Lake St., with Spanish language translation.
For questions or special accommodations at the meetings, contact Diane Russell at email@example.com or call 989-401-5507, 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., weekdays.
For more information about the site: http://www.epa.gov/region5/cleanup/alliedpaper/index.html