Self sustained Integrated Drinking water management system at Annatapuram village
Author : Mr.T.M.Gowrishankar , Executive Director, -REMEDE a Non Profit NGO
Anantapuram village is one of the Fluoride affected with 3.1 mg/pl. REMEDE a Non Profit NGO working in the area since 1991. During 2008 mobilized local community at Anantapuram in to “Watsan” institution involving women, men and youth. Local Schools were also organized as Parent teacher’s institution.
Capacity Building local Institutions :
Mr.Viral Tripati, Brisbane, Australia came forward to support “Safe Drinking water and Sanitation” at Anantapuram village. Capacity building organized trainings by REMEDE to Watsan groups, Parent teachers Institutions. Hand pump Care Takers, mechanics were trained. Life saving Hygiene practices spread among community and schools.
Better linkages were established through Lobby, Advocacy between local institutions and financial/Governmental live departments. Consultation meetings organized at village level inviting live departments.
Successful Drinking water and Ground water management systems:
With the support of Mr. Tripati, “REMEDE” Promoted Drinking water system to the community safe, adequate and sustainable drinking water and to eliminate fluoride and related issues. Trainings organized to strengthen Local Institutions on Drinking water, Ground water management as integrated approach. Soak pit, compost pits to liquid and solid waste management, recharging pits near open wells as ground water recharge system. Community started collecting rainfall data to measure ground water levels Community next priority is construction of toilets soon.
- Rapport building with community with regular meetings
- Prioritization of water, sanitation, Hygiene practices and ground water
- Community acceptance prioritize for water-san programs
- Formation of village water-san committees, capacity building
- Regular Village level meetings documentation
- Preparation of village water Action plan both human and other requirements
- Community financial contribution for operation and maintenance
- Selection of team to operate and manage the drinking water scheme
- Pooling community and external resources implementation of the scheme
- Monitoring Ground water levels, collection of rain fall data
- recharging structures, ground water monitoring system using Water level indicators, also village level rain fall data collection
- Community based Safe, adequate, Sustainable Drinking water and management
- Solid, liquid waste management and ground water management
- Elimination of Fluoride issues, Time consuming water collection, Girl child burden, health issues with hygiene practices
- Balanced Ground water and quality through recharging structures
- Ground water recharging structures balancing quality issues and water sustainability
- Vulnerable groups were benefited, developed community ownership, operation and maintenance were established among community