3-D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified
3-D Microemulsion factory emulsified is an engineered electron donor material that offers a novel 3-stage electron donor release profile, pH neutral chemistry and is delivered on-site as a factory –emulsified product (Figure 1). The patented molecular structure of 3-D Microemulsion factory emulsified provides a novel hydrophile-lipophile balance (HLB) which enables maximum subsurface distribution well beyond that of emulsified vegetable oils.
This feature optimizes start to finish timing of the enhanced reductive dechlorination process through an immediate, mid-range and long-term electron donor release. Without a 3 stage release profile, bioremediation processes can become inefficient, causing gaps in electron donor supply and requiring multiple injections. 3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified offers 3 donors in 1 product with an expected longevity of up to 4 years on a single application (Figure 2).
Stage 1 - Immediately available free lactic acid (lactate) is fermented rapidly
Stage 2 - Controlled-release lactic acid (lactate esters and polylactate esters) are metabolized at a more controlled rate
Stage 3 - Free fatty acids and fatty acid esters are converted to hydrogen over a mid to long-range timeline giving 3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified an exceptionally long electron donor release profile
A Unique Hydrophile/Lipophile Balance (HLB) Enhances Distribution and Limits Reduction in Hydraulic Conductivity
Due to its unique and specific HLB, 3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified is able to distribute in the subsurface via micellar movement. During this process, microscopic colloidal aggregates (micelles) continuously propagate from areas of high concentration to those of lower concentration moving the 3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified electron donor material into areas beyond those affected by the initial injection. This enhanced distribution mechanism allows for greater spacing between injection points and less time required for material application. Additionally, as a result of its novel hydrophile-lipophile balance, applications of 3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified have not demonstrated significant aquifer blockage as seen with the use of emulsified oil products.
Highly Efficient Application Designs
When designing an in situ remediation project with 3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified, application designs are based on mass balance and stoichiometric demand from the contaminant, competing electron acceptors and a minimum total organic carbon (TOC) loading. This often results in a more efficient dosing requirement compared to design methods employed by other electron donor suppliers.
Neutral pH minimizes potentially harmful impacts to beneficial biodegrading microorganisms required to metabolize contaminants. This feature can be highly valuable when the microemulsion is used in conjunction with pH-sensitive commercial bioaugmentation cultures.
Injection Ready Formulation, Simple and Easy Application
3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified is delivered on-site as a factory-emulsified, injection-ready product. It can be applied as delivered or further diluted with additional site water to form a higher-volume ready-to-inject microemulsion. The material can be applied through a variety of application techniques including permanent or temporary injection wells and direct-push points.
Choose from a Range of Packaging Options
3D Microemulsion Factory Emulsified can be delivered in 400 lb. drums, 2000 lb. totes and large volume tanker trucks making shipping, receiving and application simple and convenient.
- Delivered as a watery, cream colored microemulsion
- Composition – lactic acid, glycerol, glycerol tripolylactate, neutralized fatty acids
- Sequential, staged, controlled –release of (electron donors) for periods of up to 4 years
- Packaged and delivered in various quantities: 5000 gallon tankers, 2000 lb. totes, 400 lb. drums
- Expected shelf-life of material = 3 years
- (See detailed MSDS for full product specifications)
- High volume, microemulsion application increases contact with contaminants and reduces number of injection points required for treatment (saves time and money).
- Three stage; immediate,mid-range and long-term controlled-release of lactic, organic and fatty acids for the production of hydrogen to support enhanced anaerobic biodegradation.
- Maximum subsurface distribution through micellar transport - unlike oil products, 3DMe Factory Emulsified forms micelles which are mobile in groundwater and significantly enhance electron donor distribution after injection.
- Long-term source of hydrogen to the subsurface facilitates anaerobic dechlorination for periods of up to 4 years.
- Incorporates Proven (HRC) Technology Successfully applied on over 2,000 sites worldwide.
- Clean, low-cost, non-disruptive application (direct-push, wells and excavations)
- No Operations and Maintenance
- Faster and often lower cost than drawn out natural attenuation approaches
- Complimentary product application design and site analysis from Regenesis
- Injectable microemulsion for source area, plume and reactive barrier applications
- Use in injection wells for maximum efficiency, distribution and cost-savings
- Use in soil mixing and excavation projects
- Existing aerobic or anaerobic conditions
- Contaminant type and mass
- Subsurface geology (distribution)
- Depth to groundwater
- Groundwater flow rates
- Competing electron acceptors
- Available site water for microemulsion preparation
- Known or suspected DNAPL