Suricat - 3D All-In-One Accelerometer and Velocimeter for Permanent Vibration Monitoring of Structures
When cost-effective does not mean bottom end So far, continuous seismic monitoring has been performed at the few permanent seismic stations distributed across the territory. Acquiring the key parameters of the ground and/or structure motion during an earthquake or other excitations, in real time, is an increasing demand. SURICAT is a cost-effective strong-motion accelerometer and velocimeter designed for permanent monitoring of structures and of ground motion. Precise enough to provide information of engineering and seismological interest, cost-effective for being employed in extended networks. September 2019: the new Suricat is on the market.
SURICAT is a 3D digital accelerometer and velocimeter, equipped with GPS, designed for permanent installations on structures. SURICAT transmits the data via the 3G network (internal SIM card), via Bluetooth or via cable.
In absence of a network, SURICAT stores the data in the internal memory until the network returns operative.
SURICAT is powered from an internal lithium battery that provides autonomy for a few hours. The internal microSD card can store data for several days.
SURICAT is designed to record acceleration and velocity time series at the installation site.
The GPS module provides the absolute timing.
SURICAT can be used for monitoring the seismic response of structures, for monitoring the effects of strong-vibrations on structures or to produce shake maps of the ground.
Suricat has several applications in engineering geology and seismic engineering, both in single station and network configurations.
A few examples:
- event location
- Peak Ground Acceleration (PGA)
- Peak Ground Velocity (PGV)
- structural health monitoring and modal analysis
- vibration monitoring
- threshold-based event detection
Suricat data can be exported in several formats (miniSEED, TRC, ASCII, etc.) to be processed with GRILLA or with other software.
GRILLA is the user-friendly software to archive and analyze the recordings of Suricat and of all MoHo products.
GRILLA can perform:
SPECTRAL ANALYSIS of the recordings, including averaging operations and transient removal.
VIBRATION ANALYSIS, including the extraction of signal sections above threshold, according to the European regulations about the effects of strong vibrations on structures (UNI 9916, DIN 4150). Automatic reports including
tables and figures.
MODAL ANALYSIS OF STRUCTURES outputting the mode frequencies, shapes and damping from experimental data and to monitor these parameters over time.
More about 3D All-In-One Accelerometer and Velocimeter for Permanent Vibration Monitoring of Structures
9-channel, 24-bit, acquisition system
- 3D velocimeter
- [Adjustable resolution and dynamic range from ±5 mm/s to ±100 mm/s]
- 3D accelerometer
- -4 -4 [Dynamic range: a) ±2g, b) ±6g. Resolution: a) 10 g, b) 3.5 10 g]
- 2 high resolution analog channels
- [Dynamic range from ±0.1 V to ±4 V]
- 1 auxiliary digital channel
- [for triggering, time synchronization, etc.]
- Size and weight
- 14 x 8 x 6 cm, < 0.4 kg
- Sampling rate
- 16 kHz on all channels
- output rates: 256 Hz, 512 Hz, 1024 Hz, 2048 Hz, 4096 Hz
- Time synchronization
- via GPS (internal or external antenna)
- Data storage
- internal memory
- Data access/transmission via
- 3G network, by using the internal SIM card, to the MoHo DaCo
- Bluetooth, with the Suricat App (for Android)
- Event detection
- thresholds based on amplitude, amplitude and time, STA/LTA
- (Short Time Average over Long Time Average)
- Power supply
- miniUSB connection
- internal lithium battery (few days of autonomy)