A partial list of possible uses includes:
- Office and apartment building
- Hospitals, schools, hotels
- Food processing
- Clothing and textiles plants
- Industrial plants
- Mining operations
- For direct network connection at up to 20 KV
- Economical even for capacities between 2 & 22 MW
- Simple controls
- Can be added to existing system and suitable for optional water storage facilities
- Taking advantage of low off – peak electricity rates and demand charges
ACME ENGINEERING PRODUCTS offers hot water boilers based on proven design for building complexes, commercial structures and light industry. This boiler can be connected directly on the high voltage power distribution network.
Any voltage up to 20 KV, 3 phases, 3 wires and centerline grounded line.
- Capacities from 3000 to 34,000 KW
- Operating pressure to suit
- Voltages up to 20 KV, direct on line as above
- Economical electrical installation directly at high volt-age, pre-wired for installation close to existing buildings.
- Can be supplied in packaged boiler room system Completely independent pre-pipped and pre-wired For installation close to existing buildings. Only heat exchanger output connections to existing systems are required.
- Prompt assistance to designers, installers and users.
The ACME Electrode Model CEJW High Voltage Hot Water is of the immersed electrode design. The CEJW operates flooded with water at selected conductivity.
An electronic driving system is used to interpose a con-centric insulating shield between the electrode and the neutral counter electrode. The more direct the exposure between neutral shield and the electrode, the greater the current draw (amperage) and more hot water is pro-duced. As the insulating shield is moved between the electrode and neutral, the current path length and output is reduced. Hot water is generated in the space between the electrodes and neutral and escapes into the vessel.
The insulating shields can be used to turn the boiler out-put down to about 10% or a 10: 1 turn down ratio. To turn the boiler down below 10%, the supply power must be interrupted.
The closed loop of the hot water boiler is filled with water at selected conductivity and periodically surveyed for con-ductivity. The capacity of the boiler can be adjusted by varying the conductivity.
The concept of the CEJW is not new. It has been used in Europe for many years. It is a proven concept with proven components. As the market for high voltage electrode boil-ers has expanded, competitive pressures have created a need for immersed electrode high voltage hot water boil-ers. Not only are they better suited to certain applications (water quality permitting) but also somewhat simpler. The ACME Electrode Models CEJW will satisfy the needs of this developing market segment.
High performance CEJW high voltage hot water boilers convert virtually 100% of the electrical energy into heat. Rapid response achieves full load within 30-40 minutes from cold start or within one minute from hot start. Au-tomatic load and temperature control provide step less control over an output range from 10 to 100%.
Economical Installation Operating at distribution voltag-es, CEJW boilers eliminate the need for fuel lines, storage and handling equipment, economizers and emission con-trol equipment, saving on capital expenditures.
Lower operating costs Electrode boilers are easy to op-erate. Automatic controls reduce the operating person-nel requirements. Cost of water treatment is practically eliminated as the system is isolated. Water loop is origi-nally filled with water at selected conductivity and quali-ty. Automatic venting ensures full water filling of vessel.
Solves energy problems For areas affected by allocations or interruption of natural gas and costly oil, supply elec-trode boilers provide a dependable source of hot water. Allows users to take advantages of lower energy rates during daily or seasonal off peak periods or filling the demand charge.
Safer operation there are no flames, fumes, fuel lines or storage tanks. No low water danger since the current cannot flow without water. And no problem with heat buildup or electrode burnout even if scaling should oc-cur. Thermal shock is eliminated. Electrically safe due to grounded pressure vessel. Safety enclosure around boiler is not required. Expensive isolating piping connections are not required
Minimal maintenance Long life electrodes are cooled by water jets produced by an integrated loop pump. Elec-trode boilers having a minimum number of components and electrical controls, provide maximum reliability. Without fuels, cleaning and maintenance are reduced.
Pollution-free Without combustion, the operation of CEJW boilers is quiet, clean and emission free. Problems associated with other energy sources such as noise, fuel fumes, fly ash, large stacks, do not exist for electrode boilers.
Simplex or duplex pumps circulate water in the loop. Flow of each pump is determined by the cooling re-quirements of the electrodes therefore ensuring their long life and minimizing wear. Air cooled pump skids include TEFC motors, usually at building voltage controlled from the System Control Panel. Pressure loss in the loop determines head of the pump at the required flow.
Completes heating system loop including boiler and pump. Plate type construction with standard steel plates individually removable on rod. Primary circuit design method is to pump flow and heat transfer of boiler heating capacity. Secondary circuit water heats building, plant or storage facilities transferring heating boiler capacity.
Minor Accessories Part of the Loop
Expansion tank based on total water content of the loop and its operating pressure. Chemical feed tank with mixer and injection pump to produce selected operating conductivity to the initial fill with deminer-alized water.
Can be incorporated as part of the heating system. It will store the hot water produced during periods of low demand and low cost and use it at advantageous times.
The simplest way is to fill the isolated loop with de-mineralized water and add caustic soda solution (NaOH) or phosphate solution (Na₃PO₄) to achieve the conductivity requested at the operating temperature.
The conductivity has to be supervised or a constant basis in order to maintain or avoid exceeding the MW capacity.
- Pressure vessel with local code approval
- Large Manhole
- Duplex circulating pumps to suit local requirement
- Jacket and thermal insulation of boiler
- Cage surrounding high voltage connections at upper level
- Heat exchanger
- Expansion Tank
- Free standing control panel NEMA 12 (IP54)
- Pre-programmed PLC processor
- HMI display and system electronic gauges
- Operating capacity control based on temperature and MW demand
- Temperature limits
- Water level protection
- Pumps Control and Flow switch
- Electric shield actuator
- Remote monitoring and reporting
- Safety valve(s)
- Chemical treatment tank
- Conductivity sampling line
- Boiler blowdown valve and isolating valves
- Boiler automatic vent line
- Temperature and pressure gauges
- Common grounding of panels and vessel
- Terminals in cage enclosure
- Duplex sets circulating pumps motor starters if required