Adcon - Model A753 addWAVE Series 4 - Universal Data Logger
From Adcon - RTUs
A753 addWAVE Series 4 is a powerful universal data logger that provides high analog resolution, many different I/O channels, lots of memory and extreme flexibility and expandability. It is nonetheless very easy to use and install, and has maintained the low-power approach of previous generations, perfectly capable of operating off our little solar panels. It is the perfect tool for professional users that want to establish and manage large scale measurement networks.
A753 addWAVE transmits with an output power of 500mW in the 70cm frequency band between 430 and 470MHz, and can achieve distances of up to 20km (12 miles), with adequate installation even more. Its radio protocol is fully backwards compatible to A731, A732, A733 and A740.
Every A753 addWAVE can simultaneously be used as datalogger and as relay station for other ADCON RTU's (e.g. A723, A732, A733). This allows to achieve distances of over 100km (60 miles) between the base station and the remotest location - data hops from one station to the next. This also allows the installation of radio stations in very difficult topographies, overcoming geographical barriers by simply transmitting around them or over them.
Installing an A753 addWAVE is not difficult at all. With all major components - datalogger, radio, power supply - contained in a single, compact aluminum case, the user neither needs an external case nor specific know-how to connect the sensor cables and the solar panel to the RTU.
An A753 addWAVE is capable of also supplying power to the sensors attached to it. It can either do so by feeding unregulated battery power to the sensors, or by supplying stabilized output power, programmable in 0,1V steps between 3.3 and 5.6V.
- SDI-12 port: Integrated
- Max. number of SDI-12 sensors: 40
- Modbus option: yes
- Digital Expansion Option: yes - up to 52 additional I/Os
- Analog Resolution: 16-bit
- Sensor excitation voltage: stabilized or battery voltage
- Sampling methods: synchronous or asynchronous
- Max. counter frequency:
- 2 x 50 Hz
- 2 x 500 Hz
- Integrated wind gust monitor: yes
- Rain intensity monitoring: yes
- Integrated mV amplifier: yes
- Data memory: 2MB (optionally 4MB)
Device type: Compact data logger with integrated UHF modem
Product highlights: IP-67 ultra-low-power design, WMO compliant measurement methods, high analog resolution, large integrated memory (2MB = ~6 months of data for 15-minute-readings), 5-20km transmission range, repeater functionality
Data transmission: UHF radio (430-470MHz) with 500mW
Sensor interfaces: 12 x analog 0…1/2,5VDC (3 channels also support 0…150mV); 4 pulse counters (2x 500Hz fast counters / 2x 50Hz counters); 4 digital I/O's (expandable with A553 to up to 52 digital I/O's); 40 SDI-12 values; Modbus via adapter
For which applications is A753 particularly well suited? Here are a few examples:
It's easy to install and easy to maintain, yet very robust with low maintenance requirements. Compatible with all Adcon sensors it offers a lot of expansion options and is ideally suited to monitor diseases, evapotranspiration, soil moisture and temperature and other parameters.
Professional Weather Stations
The professional meteorologist expects his equipment to provide high resolution, wide temperature ranges, WMO compliant measurement methods, particularly for wind gust monitoring, lots of expansion options, lots of memory, flexible sampling intervalls, and more - all this and more are part of A753's feature set, its compact design and low price notwithstanding.
Environmental monitoring of water and air quality
Thanks to the SDI-12 sensor standard a large number of multi-parameter probes has surfaced on the market, especially such for monitoring up to 16 water quality parameters simultaneously. A753 supports up to 40 SDI-12 sensor values, and 12 additional analog channels for 0-1/2,5V output signals with 16-Bit resolution across the RTU's full operating temperature range.
Flood warning and rain intensity monitoring
Many countries require data loggers to store the date and time of each pulse of a rain gauge in order to accurately calculate rain intensity. A753 can do even more, and additionally store up to three analog values, read at the same time as the pulse, e.g. wind speed and direction.
Detecting pressure hammers in water distribution pipelines
Using the measuring method originally developed for wind gust monitoring it is now also very easy to detect pressure hammers, which can cause a lot of damage to pippelines. Reading pressure 4 times per second and calculating a 3-second average, the highest of which is stored and transmitted, it becomes easy to accurately spot when and where such a pressure hammer has occurred.
- Monitoring equipment with high frequency
- Access control
- Frost warning
- Leak detection
- Level metering in ground and surface water bodies
- Soil moisture monitoring
- and much much more
- Case: Aluminum, powder coated
- Protection class: IP-67
- Dimensions / weight: 160 x 60 x 80 mm / 1.200 gr.
- Connectors for sensors and power:
- 4 x M9 female 7-pin to sensor
- 1 x M9 female 5-pin to power
- Made in Germany by Binder
- Sockets: brass, nickel plated, with gold plated socket contacts; IP-67 protection class
- protective caps
- Antenna connector: TNC with external seal, IP-67, Made in Germany
- Mounting: Mast mounting bracket, integrated
- Operating temp.: -30°C ... +75°C
- I/O channels: 60
- Analog inputs: 12 x 0...1V/2.5VDC (3 channels on Port C can be programmed to a measuring range of 0 - 150mV DC low temp. drift with internal amplification)
- Digital inputs: 40 x SDI-12 Values
- Counter inputs: Total of 4 inputs:
- 2 for standard reed switches, debounced, e.g for rain gauges; max. 50 pulses per second. Min. pulse length 17ms, min. break time 17ms
- 2 for fast puls generators, e.g. wind speed sensors or flow meters; max. 500 pulses per second. Min. pulse length 1ms, min. break time 1 ms.
- TTL In- / Outputs: 4 x TTL compatible status inputs or switching outputs, programmable; of which 1 x 5V (Port A) and 3 x 3.3V (all others)
- Analog resolution: 16-Bit
- Sensor excitation voltage: Programmable:
- Unregulated battery voltage from 5.5V ... 7.5V
- Stabilized voltage, programmable from 3.3V ... 5.5V in 0,1V increments
- Memory: 2MB for up to 500.000 values, depending on types of sensors attached (SDI-12 typically needs more memory than analog). Example: 15-minute data of an ETo station can be stored for 6 months.
- 4MB: ex works the A753 can also be equipped with 4MB of memory to double it's storage capacity beyond 1 year for a standard ETo station.
Special Logger functionality:
- Wind gust monitoring: Port C + Adcon wind sensor: 4 samples per second, 4 times per second calculation of 3-second average; Date and time of gust stored
- Wind vector monitoring: Port C + Adcon wind sensor: wind direction is measured simultaneously with speed, weighed depending on speed, and stored as a vector
- Rain intensity monitoring: Port D + rain gauge with pulse output (max. resolution: 1 second). Date and time of ech pulse are stored; in addition up to 3 analog signals and 2 counter inputs can be stored, e.g. wind speed and air temperature
- Pressure hammer detection: Port C + Adcon manometer sensor: manometer is permanently powered, sampled 4x per second, and a 3-second average is stored
- Low Voltage Amplifier: Port B: sensors with an analog output of 0-150mV can be connected directly; internal amplifier
- Asynchronous sampling: To prevent sensors from influencing each others readings when read simultaneously, ports can be sampled sequentially
- Event-Monitor: To rapidly detect status changes on a digital input it can be sampled up to once per second; date and time of each status change are put in memory; attention: with frequent status changes this can generate a lot of data! Applications: error detection on equipment, access control, pump monitoring, etc.
- Frequency ranges: Band 1: 430 ... 440 MHz
- Band 2: 440 ... 450 MHz
- Band 3: 450 ... 460 MHz
- Band 4: 460 ... 470 MHz
- Modem: Made by Adcon Telemetry
- Antenna: Omni directional, vertical, TNC jack, +2dBi
- Power Supply: internal 6.2V battery, charged by solar panel or mains power supply
- Battery: Panasonic Hi-temperature cell, industry grade, NiMH, 3300mAh
- Type approvals: FCC, R&TTE, CE, Industry Canada, ACMA Australia