ALGAEROW - Autonomous Non-Contact Sensor for Water Quality Monitoring
Algal blooms tend to form in presence of ideal condition of temperature, nutrients and light. Algal blooms become harmful when colonies of algae—simple plants that live in the sea and freshwater—grow out of control while producing toxic or negative effects on people, fish, shellfish, marine mammals, and birds.
The human illnesses caused by harmful algal blooms, though rare, can be debilitating or even fatal.
Harmful algal blooms’ occurrence are on the rise and are becoming a major environmental concern in many states, not only because they affect the health of people and marine ecosystems, but also the prosperity of local economies.
In consequence, governments and environmental authorities request effective algal bloom monitoring tools.
- Fast and convenient in-situ monitoring
- No sampling or preparation required
- Non-contact technique for maintenance-free operations
- Fewer false alarms through advanced algorithms
- Detection capability 1 μg/L of chlorophyll-a in vivo