AlgaeTorch - Chlorophyll and Cyanobacteria Measurement Instrument
The new, quick-and-easy, portable measuring instrument for algae monitoring. Switch on, dip in, read off!. The bbe AlgaeTorch is a robust field instrument for the simultaneous quantification of the chlorophyll-a content of cyanobacteria and the total chlorophyll content of microalgae in water. The measurement of chlorophyll-a can eliminate laborious sample preparation in the lab. A complete measurement needs less than 20 seconds. No sampling or preparation is necessary.
The bbe AlgaeTorch uses in vivo fluorescence of algae cells: the algae pigments are selectively excited by coloured LEDs and emit red fluorescence light as a natural phenomenon at high sensitivity. The intensity of the chlorophyll fluorescence is used to calculate the different algae as chlorophyll-a, here blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) and total microalgae. The calculation is carried out internally using an optimised algorithm. The results are shown immediately on the display and stored in the internal memory. An encapsulated USB port enables subsequent data transfer to a PC. The PC software is supplied free of charge.
The built-in turbidity sensor calculates the results in FTUs (formazine turibidity units). A measurement is taken with each chlorophyll measurement. The novelty here is the automatic turbidity correction during the chlorophyll measurement which makes subsequent correction unnecessary, improves the accuracy of the measurement and enables the evaluation of the measurement results in the field, at site.
The instrument is robust and completely sealed. It is operated through the transparent housing using capacity keys. The key actions are confirmed by a vibration signal. In this way it is possible to ensure safe operation of the instrument even in a wet environment. The instrument is deployable down to depth of 10 m (optionally 100 m with the AlgaeTorch 100). No power cable is needed for operation due to the internal rechargeable batteries.
- simultaneous determination of total chlorophyll-a and blue-green chlorophyll-a
- no sampling or preparation
- simple, portable operation
- measurement values display on the instrument, internal memory
- in-built pressure sensor for the 100 m version (AlgaeTorch 100)
- analysis due to EU Water Framework Directive and the Bathing Water Directive
- analysis of water quality in lakes and rivers
- detection of algal blooms and blue-green algae (cyanobacteria)
- warning of possible toxins
- management of reservoirs and dams
- bathing water surveillance
- bloom detection
- environmental monitoring
- limnological work
- research and education
- start / stop of instrument
- access to all stored values
- online display of instrument via PC
- calibration of instrument via PC
PC software functions
- read-out of data and parameters
- display and saving of measurement data
- graphic display of time and if necessary depth of measurement
- data export to EXCEL and ASCII files