AMETEK Land - Model 4500 MkIII - Compliance Opacity and Dust Monitor
A high-specification opacity and dust monitor meeting global compliance standards for monitoring combustion processes. 4500 MkIII is the most accurate and reliable continuous opacity monitor available, combining AMETEK Land’s ground-breaking innovation and simple design for precise, problem-free operation. Unmatched, class-leading accuracy ensures compliance limits for dust emissions and stack opacity are met with confidence. This avoids the risk of regulator fines while lowering costs through operational efficiencies.
The 4500 MkIII employs a highly homogenous LED light source to minimize sensitivity to optical misalignment. The multi-prism retro-reflector reduces thermal drift for the lowest possible detection limit. Together with a flood LED to minimize electronic drift, these patented technologies provide you highly stable, highly accurate results.
Fitting stack diameters of 0.3m-15m (1 ft-50ft), 4500 MkIII is suitable for the continuous monitoring of dust and opacity in boilers, heaters, furnaces and other combustion applications in the power generation, hydrocarbon processing, industrial boilers, and steel industries.
The 4500 MkIII achieves the highest possible specification for the fundamental performance parameters for a compliance opacity monitor, as defined by the internationally-recognised ASTM D6216 Standard. Its performance has been independently verified, meeting QAL 1 requirements according to EN 15267-3.
Easy to Operate
The built-in menu display is intuitive and simple to use, with simultaneous text and icon prompts. There’s no need to take a laptop or handheld terminal to the installation location, making setup and operation hassle-free.
Unmatched Control Options
4500 MkIII has all the compatible accessories you need to tailor it to your process. Options include a control room unit, auxiliary functions unit, fail-safe shutters and calibration accessories, as well as a range of mountings and adaptors for existing fittings.
- Measuring Technique: Double pass transmissometry
- Operating Wavelength: 520 ± 20 nm
- Light Source: Pulsed High Intensity LED
- Measurement Range: Opacity 0-10 % to 0-100 % ; Optical Density 0 - 0.1 to 0-3.0 ; Dust Density 0-15 to 0-1000 mg/m3 (at 5 m pathlength)
- Calibration Error: 1.5 % opacity
- Drift (long term) : < 0.3 % opacity / month
- Thermal Stability: 0.6 % opacity / 22 ° C ambient change
- Angle of Projection: < 2 °
- Angle of View: < 2 °
- Response Time: ≤10 s to 95 %
- Averaging: Selectable from 10 s to 24 hr (1 s increment)
- Pathlength: 0.5 to 10 m / 20 in to 32 ft (extended pathlengths to 15 m available)
- Calibration : Automatic zero and upscale check (selectable period 1 to 24 hr in 1 hr increments)
- Zero Correction : Automatic correction for zero drift
- Control Panel Display: 128 x 64 pixel relective backlit LCD
- Control Panel Keypad: 4 keys for data input
- Control Panel Indicators: Power, System OK, Alarm, Calibration
- Operating Temperature: -40 to 55 °C / -40 to 131 °F
- Max. Flue Gas Temperature: 600 °C / 1112 °F
- Max. Flange Temperature: 200 °C / 392 °F
- Flue Gas Water Content : Not sensitive to water vapor. Condensed water must not be present in the measurement path.
- Electrical Safety: IEC / EN 61010-2
- EMC: EN 50 081 & EN50 082
- Sealing: IP65 / NEMA4X
- Modbus Interface: RS485; Opacity, Optical Density, Dust Density and Status information available
- Analog Outputs: Isolated 4 to 20 mA Configurable as Opacity, Optical Density, Dust Density
- Relay Outputs: System OK, Calibration, Alarm
- Relay Rating: 1 A @ 24 Vdc
- Power Supply: 24 Vdc nominal (18 to 30 Vdc), 0.3 A nominal (3 A startup)
- Transceiver Dimensions (Hx W x D): 191 x 291 x 413 mm / 7.5 x 7.9 x 16.3 in
- Retro-reflector Dimensions (H x W x D): 101 x 201 x 237 mm / 7.5 x 7.9 x 9.3 in
- Transceiver Weight: 6 kg / 13.2 lbs.
- Retro-reflector Weight : 3 kg / 6.6 lbs.
- Enclosure: Cast Aluminum, epoxy coated
- Accessories : Fail-safe Shutters, Blowers, Adapter Flanges, Remote Control Units, Additional Outputs Available
- Approvals : QAL 1, EN 15267, EN 13284-2
- Performance Specifications : ASTM D6216, US EPA PS-1, PS-11, Procedure 3
- Lifetime warranty on LED light source
- 3-year warranty on transmisso meter
- No continuously moving parts
- Patented all-glass multi-prism retroreflector
- Patented flood LED
- Optional fail-safe shutters
- Adaptor flanges and spoolpieces
- Control Room Unit (option)
- Single purge blower
- Wide operating temperature range
- Auxiliary Function Unit (AFU)
- Auxiliary Power Supply (APS)
- Dust and Opacity
- No need to replace the light source
- Worry-free operation
- Highest reliability
- Lowest possible drift
- Maximum thermal stability
- Protects optics if purge air fails, and protects personnel from stack gases during servicing
- Allows the 4500 Mklll to fit the existing stack flanges
- Allows remote display and diagnostics
- One blower provides purge air to transceiver and retro
- Operation -40°C to 55°C (-40°F to 131°F) is standard
- Easy connections and additional I/O
- Universal mains power input and power distribution
- Measure both % opacity and dust concentration in mg/m3
- Air Hose
- AFU & APS (Optional)
- Control Room Unit (Optional)
- US EPA 40CFR60 Sections 13, 17 and App. B PS-1
- US EPA Proposed 40CFR60 App. F Procedure 3
- ASTM Standard D6216
- EN 15267-1:2009
- EN 15267 - 2 :2009
- EN 15267 - 3 :2007
- EN 14181 :2004
- Dust Collectors
The 4500 MKIII mounting is a core part of the optical alignment system and the correct selection is essential.
The standpipe welds directly to the stack for a simple, rigid mounting.
Spoolpieces are available with a wide variety of ANSI Flange sizes which can be bolted onto an existing stack flange.
Transceiver Weather Cover
The transceiver is sealed to IP65 and will resist most weather conditions. The transceiver weather cover attaches to the mounting flange and provides additional protection from driving rain and intense sunlight.
A reliable purge air supply is needed to protect the 4500 MkIII from the hot, corrosive, dusty stack gases. The AMETEK Land design uses a side-channel blower and a large-area filter to provide a troublefree source of purge air that will run for many years with minimal maintenance. The standard blower is weatherproof to IP55 and can be used in a sheltered outdoor location, for example under a canopy.
Blower Weather Cover
The weather cover makes the blower fully weatherproof and is recommended for outdoor locations where the blower will be exposed to wind and rain.
Electrically-actuated shutters protect the optics from damage if the purge fails, either because of a fault or because of loss of electric power. The shutters close automatically when power is lost or when the AFU receives a purge-fail signal.
The pressure switch opens when a positive flow of purge air is detected and closes when flow is lost. The AFU generates an alarm signal if a purge fail condition is detected, and closes the shutters (if fitted).
The prefilter extends the lifetime of the air filter in dusty environments by removing coarse dust from the purge air supply.
For optimum performance, it is necessary to verify the calibration of your model 4500 MKIII periodically. In most cases, a quarterly calibration audit is sufficient, and we can provide the accessories you need
External Zero Device (EZD)
The EZD allows you to verify the zero opacity point without removing the Model 4500 MkIII from the stack. It can also be used for quarterly calibration error checks, as required by US EPA Procedure 3.
Neutral Density Calibration Filters
Filters are chosen to match your opacity monitor configuration and are calibrated as primary filters in accordance with PS-1.
Test stands and mains power supply make it easy to perform a zero alignment (clear-path calibration) off the stack.