AMETEK Land - Model 4500 MkIII - Compliance Opacity and Dust Monitor
A high-specification opacity and dust monitor meeting global compliance standards for monitoring combustion processes. 4500 MkIII is the most accurate and reliable continuous opacity monitor available, combining AMETEK Land’s ground-breaking innovation and simple design for precise, problem-free operation. Unmatched, class-leading accuracy ensures compliance limits for dust emissions and stack opacity are met with confidence. This avoids the risk of regulator fines while lowering costs through operational efficiencies.
The 4500 MkIII employs a highly homogenous LED light source to minimize sensitivity to optical misalignment. The multi-prism retro-reflector reduces thermal drift for the lowest possible detection limit. Together with a flood LED to minimize electronic drift, these patented technologies provide you highly stable, highly accurate results.
Fitting stack diameters of 0.3m-15m (1 ft-50ft), 4500 MkIII is suitable for the continuous monitoring of dust and opacity in boilers, heaters, furnaces and other combustion applications in the power generation, hydrocarbon processing, industrial boilers, and steel industries.
The 4500 MkIII achieves the highest possible specification for the fundamental performance parameters for a compliance opacity monitor, as defined by the internationally-recognised ASTM D6216 Standard. Its performance has been independently verified, meeting QAL 1 requirements according to EN 15267-3.
Easy to Operate
The built-in menu display is intuitive and simple to use, with simultaneous text and icon prompts. There’s no need to take a laptop or handheld terminal to the installation location, making setup and operation hassle-free.
Unmatched Control Options
4500 MkIII has all the compatible accessories you need to tailor it to your process. Options include a control room unit, auxiliary functions unit, fail-safe shutters and calibration accessories, as well as a range of mountings and adaptors for existing fittings.
- Air Hose
- AFU & APS (Optional)
- Control Room Unit (Optional)
- Measuring Technique: Double pass transmissometry
- Operating Wavelength: 520 ± 20 nm
- Light Source: Pulsed High Intensity LED
- Measurement Range: Opacity 0-10 % to 0-100 % ; Optical Density 0 - 0.1 to 0-3.0 ; Dust Density 0-15 to 0-1000 mg/m3 (at 5 m pathlength)
- Calibration Error: 1.5 % opacity
- Drift (long term) : < 0.3 % opacity / month
- Thermal Stability: 0.6 % opacity / 22 ° C ambient change
- Angle of Projection: < 2 °
- Angle of View: < 2 °
- Response Time: ≤10 s to 95 %
- Averaging: Selectable from 10 s to 24 hr (1 s increment)
- Pathlength: 0.5 to 10 m / 20 in to 32 ft (extended pathlengths to 15 m available)
- Calibration : Automatic zero and upscale check (selectable period 1 to 24 hr in 1 hr increments)
- Zero Correction : Automatic correction for zero drift
- Control Panel Display: 128 x 64 pixel relective backlit LCD
- Control Panel Keypad: 4 keys for data input
- Control Panel Indicators: Power, System OK, Alarm, Calibration
- Operating Temperature: -40 to 55 °C / -40 to 131 °F
- Max. Flue Gas Temperature: 600 °C / 1112 °F
- Max. Flange Temperature: 200 °C / 392 °F
- Flue Gas Water Content : Not sensitive to water vapor. Condensed water must not be present in the measurement path.
- Electrical Safety: IEC / EN 61010-2
- EMC: EN 50 081 & EN50 082
- Sealing: IP65 / NEMA4X
- Modbus Interface: RS485; Opacity, Optical Density, Dust Density and Status information available
- Analog Outputs: Isolated 4 to 20 mA Configurable as Opacity, Optical Density, Dust Density
- Relay Outputs: System OK, Calibration, Alarm
- Relay Rating: 1 A @ 24 Vdc
- Power Supply: 24 Vdc nominal (18 to 30 Vdc), 0.3 A nominal (3 A startup)
- Transceiver Dimensions (Hx W x D): 191 x 291 x 413 mm / 7.5 x 7.9 x 16.3 in
- Retro-reflector Dimensions (H x W x D): 101 x 201 x 237 mm / 7.5 x 7.9 x 9.3 in
- Transceiver Weight: 6 kg / 13.2 lbs.
- Retro-reflector Weight : 3 kg / 6.6 lbs.
- Enclosure: Cast Aluminum, epoxy coated
- Accessories : Fail-safe Shutters, Blowers, Adapter Flanges, Remote Control Units, Additional Outputs Available
- Approvals : QAL 1, EN 15267, EN 13284-2
- Performance Specifications : ASTM D6216, US EPA PS-1, PS-11, Procedure 3
- US EPA 40CFR60 Sections 13, 17 and App. B PS-1
- US EPA Proposed 40CFR60 App. F Procedure 3
- ASTM Standard D6216
- EN 15267-1:2009
- EN 15267 - 2 :2009
- EN 15267 - 3 :2007
- EN 14181 :2004
- Dust Collectors
Control Room Unit
The Control Room Unit (CRU) provides a direct link for the operator to see at a glance the instrument readings, display warning or alarm conditions and provide a range of options including analog and digital outputs. In addition, an instrument calibration can be initiated by remote control.
The unit is simple to install and connect to the opacity monitor,using the termination box.
- Live Information Direct from the Opacity Monitor into the Control Room or other convenient location
- Available as 19”rack-mount configuration, includes mains power-supply
- Uses Modbus RS 485, 2 Wire Connection to Opacity Monitor
- Display of Instantaneous and Average Opacity, Optical Density and Dust Readings
- 10 day Data Log available for PC download
- Remote Calibration Initiate Function
- Display of Instrument Warnings and Alarms
- Calibration Status Indication
- Optional Input/Output Module -providing 4 Analog O/Ps, 1 Digital I/Pand 15 Relay O/Ps
- Also available for Model 9100 CO monitor
AFU & APS (optional)
The Auxiliary Functions Unit and Auxiliary Power Supply Supply (AFU/APS) provides additional communications and control facilities for the Model 4500 MkIII:
- 2 isolated 4 - 20 mA current loop outputs
- 2 alarm relays
- 4 status and calibration relays
- 4 blower status inputs
- 4 fail-safe shutter status inputs
- 2 fail-safe shutter control outputs
- 4-wire Modbus port
- RS232 or RS485 diagnostic port
- 110 v or 230 V ac mains power supply
- Circuit breakers and terminals for ac supply distribution
The AFU/APS connects to the Transceiver via its RS485 Modbus port.
If the AFU/APS is used to provide connections to Blowers and Fail-safe shutters, it must be located close to the 4500 MkIII Transceiver.
Air Purge Blowers
The plate-mounted blower unit is designed for vertical mounting to a stack or duct, and is available with two sizesof fan unit, to accommodate different stack pressures and instrument types.
It is suitable for either indoor or outdoor installation. An optional weatherproof cover is available for exposed locations.
A signal-operated shutter unit is available for these instruments. It may be prudent to fit shutters to protect the instrument if the blower fails. These are particularly important for applications where flue gas is under positive pressure, and/or where it is very corrosive. If the air purge supply fails (normally due to mains power failure), the instrument should be removed to avoid permanent damage. With positive seal, fail-safe shutters, the instrument can normally be left in place until the air purging is restored.
When does the shutter operate?
Shutters operate in certain conditions and depending on whether the air purge supply (normally a blower) has pressure switches fitted. The shutters will automatically re-open when the fault condition is rectified, i.e. mains power is restored or the pressure switches change state - no user intervention is required. The shutter mechanism will operate once (close and re-open) during a calibration cycle (4500 Series), in order to check that it is operating correctly. The instrument’s software will automatically trigger this operation.
External Zero Device (EZD)
The EZD allows you to verify the zero opacity point without removing the Model 4500 MkIII from the stack. It can also be used for quarterly calibration error checks, as required by US EPA Procedure 3.
Neutral Density Calibration Filters
Filters are chosen to match your opacity monitor configuration and are calibrated as primary filters in accordance with PS-1.
Transceiver Weather covers
To be used when additional environmental protection is required. It simply hooks over the instrument, to protect from sunlight and rain. It hinges upwards for access to the instrument itself.
A set of calibration stands are important when performing a Clear Stack Calibration or Zero alignment. The instrument (to comply with US EPA Procedure 3), must be removed and attached to test stands for calibration.
The standpipe welds directly to the stack for a simple, rigid mounting.
Spoolpieces are available with a wide variety of ANSI Flange sizes which can be bolted onto an existing stack flange.
- Lifetime warranty on LED light source
- 3-year warranty on transmisso meter
- No continuously moving parts
- Patented all-glass multi-prism retroreflector
- Patented flood LED
- Optional fail-safe shutters
- Adaptor flanges and spoolpieces
- Control Room Unit (option)
- Single purge blower
- Wide operating temperature range
- Auxiliary Function Unit (AFU)
- Auxiliary Power Supply (APS)
- Dust and Opacity
- No need to replace the light source
- Worry-free operation
- Highest reliability
- Lowest possible drift
- Maximum thermal stability
- Protects optics if purge air fails, and protects personnel from stack gases during servicing
- Allows the 4500 Mklll to fit the existing stack flanges
- Allows remote display and diagnostics
- One blower provides purge air to transceiver and retro
- Operation -40°C to 55°C (-40°F to 131°F) is standard
- Easy connections and additional I/O
- Universal mains power input and power distribution
- Measure both % opacity and dust concentration in mg/m3