AMETEK Land - Model SDS - Land Slag Detection System
The AMETEK Land Slag Detection System (SDS) delivers improved yields, higher-quality steel and reduces costly downstream processing. There are additional benefits in reduced ladle refractory wear.
At the end of the tap the levels of slag and steel rapidly reverse. Quick termination of the tap after the alarm has been triggered is necessary to prevent excessive levels of slag in the ladle.
SDS uses a high-resolution thermal imaging camera to detect the transition between steel and slag. The dedicated thermal imaging camera has been specifically designed to survive in the harsh operating conditions and utilizes a particular wavelength to reduce obscuration caused by smoke and fume. Data is presented to the operator in real time enabling them to make informed decisions about the tapping process and the system provides clear alarm notifications.
SUITABLE FOR A VARIETY OF APPLICATIONS
SDS is suitable for operators of secondary steel making vessels (e.g. EAF, BOF) including stainless steel and can also be used in other smelting operations Eg copper and platinum. The system can also be used to indicate freeboard height if required providing a wide field of view.
IMPROVED PRODUCT QUALITY
Using the SDS has been demonstrated to improve operator response time and consistency at the end of each tap. This typically results in a reduction in slag depths of up to 25% compared to traditional methods of stream monitoring.
REDUCED DOWNSTREAM PROCESSING COSTS
The cost of additional downstream processing time and materials can be a significant burden on an operating plant. By controlling slag carry-over this costly downstream processing can be reduced or eliminated, improving plant throughput, product quality and operating margins.
As the tap commences, the application dedicated software records a data log and produces a live graph for quality control. A stream tracking mechanism is included to ensure reliable operation in typical installation conditions. When slag appears, and exceeds an operator defined amount, an alarm is automatically triggered. The system is designed to ensure accurate, real-time detection of steel/slag independent of charge weight and without operator intervention.
The Slag Detection System is AMETEK Land’s definitive solution for monitoring and reducing slag carryover in steel production facilities. It is proven to reduce slag carryover, save money and improve operator safety.
- MID-TEMPERATURE: 800 to 1800 °C / 1472 to 3272°F
- MID-WAVELENGTH: LWIR 3.9 μm
- TEMPERATURE RANGE: 800 to 1800 °C / 1472 to 3272°F
- Spectral Response: 3.9 μm
- Pixel Resolution: 640 x 480 pixels
- Frame Rate: 50 Hz
- Optics (FOV): 12° x 9°, 43° x 33°
- Interfacing: Gbit-Ethernet
- I/O Options: I/O-modules and digital interfacing via IMAGEPro
- Measurement Range: 800 to 1800 °C / 1472 to 3272°F
- Image Resolution: 640 x 480 pixels
- Spectral Response: 3.9 μm (centre)
- Frame Rate: 50 frames/sec
- Detector: Microbolometer Focal Plane Array
- Optics: Standard - 12° (horizontal) x 9° (vertical)
- Focus Range: 4 m / 13.1 ft to infinity
- Protection Window: Sapphire (available as a spare part)
- Accuracy: ±2% of measured value
- Temperature Resolution: 0.5 °C / 0.9 °F (800 °C / 1472 °F blackbody temperature)
- Enclosure: Water cooling and air purged enclosure with heat protection shield
- Sighting Tube: Design significantly reduces the risk of direct impact of liquid steel/metal against the field (sapphire protection window included)
- Dimensions: 560 x 215 x 235 mm / 22 x 8.5 x 9.3 in.
- Weight: 10 kg / 22.05 lbs.
- Environmental Rating: IP 65
SDS CAMERA SUPPLY
- Connection: Local connection interface between camera unit and image processing system
- Services: Water, instrument air, power input, located to the rear of the enclosure
POWER SUPPLY UNIT (PSU)
- Components: Power supply, Ethernet communications (switch)
- PSU - Environmental Rating: NEMA Type 4
- Size: 380 x 380 x 211 mm / 15 x 15 x 8.3 in.
- Weight: 15kg / 33.07 lbs.
- Connections: Light fiber data connection as an option
IMAGE PROCESSING UNIT
- Slag/Steel Detection: Alarm activation when a pre-set percentage of either slag or steel/metal detected within defined window
- User Display: Front page information display and location identifier. External data displayed via interface input.
- Automatic Functions: Auto tap detection, stream tracking, steel/slag ratio, thermal video and video file recording, log file of all data including tap number, clear display of steel/slag percentage (bars, numbers and graphs), alarm colours, etc.)
- Software: IMAGEPro-SDS - Advanced Image Processing and Application Software
- Interfacing: Open Data Interface, Modbus TCP, Moxa I/O unit