AMETEK Land - Model SDS-E - Slag Detection System
The Slag Detection System (SDS) is the proven solution for accurate and timely detection of slag carryover in the steelmaking process, allowing plants to improve product quality, reduce slag carryover and improve operator safety. With over 60 years of application expertise in the steel industry AMETEK Land’s Slag Detection System (SDS) accurately and rapidly detects the onset of slag carry-over. This fast response significantly reduces slag carryover and improves product quality.
At the end of the tap the levels of slag and steel rapidly reverse. Quick termination of the tap after the alarm has been triggered is necessary to prevent excessive levels of slag in the ladle. SDS uses a high resolution thermal imaging camera to detect the transition between steel and slag. The dedicated thermal imaging camera has a specific design to survive in the harsh operating conditions and utilizes a particular wavelength to reduce “blackouts” caused by smoke and fume. Data is presented to the operator in real time enabling them to make informed decisions about the tapping process.
Suitable for operators of secondary steel making vessels (e.g. EAF, BOF) including stainless steel. Variants of the system are also available for copper, platinum, upon request. The system can also be used to indicate freeboard height if required.
Improved Product Quality
Using the SDS has been demonstrated to improve operator response time and consistency at the end of each tap. This results in a typical reduction in slag depths of up to 25% compared to traditional methods of stream monitoring.
Reduced Downstream Processing Costs
The cost of additional downstream processing time and materials can be a significant burden on an operating plant. By controlling slag carry-over this costly downstream processing can be reduced or eliminated, improving plant throughput and operating margins.
As the tap commences, the application dedicated software records it, using a stream identification algorithm, producing a data log and graph for quality control. A stream tracking mechanism is included to ensure reliable operation in typical installation conditions. When slag appears, and exceeds an operator defined amount, an alarm is automatically triggers. The system is designed to ensure accurate detection of steel/slag independent of charge weight and without operator intervention.
The Slag Detection System is AMETEK Land’s definitive solution for monitoring and reducing slag carryover in steel production facilities. It is proven to reduce slag carryover, save money and improve operator safety.
When liquid steel is tapped from a basic oxygen or electric arc furnace, it is essential to minimise the quantity of slag carried over into the ladle.
- Slag layer hinders addition of alloys and conditioners
- High levels of FeO and MnO results in high oxygen content of steel, leading to increased processing time and treatment costs
- High inclusion formation, steel cleanliness problems and increased risk of nozzle clogging in the caster
- Phosphorous reversion in the ladle
- Poor ladle desulphurization
- Ladle refractory wear
The Slag Detection System (SDS-E) has been developed using Land’s expert knowledge of the application and over 60 years experience in the steel industry to monitor and aid control of slag carry-over from one process to another.
The SDS-E system is specially designed to withstand the harsh conditions of continuous operation in the steel plant, with minimum maintenance required. The industrial thermal imaging sensor is housed in a rugged water-cooled and air purged enclosure, continuously viewing the tapping area. As the tap commences, the dedicated LIPS SDS-E software automatically records the tap using stream identification and produces a data log and graph of the relevant steel/slag data.
When the level of the slag reaches the predetermined level an alarm is generated to stop the tap. The recording will end and the files saved by tap number. Full access of the tapping data is available for quality control purposes.
- Improved production yield
- Lower slag content improving steel quality
- Lower maintenance on BOF/ EAF vessel
- Reduced energy costs
- Automatic stream identification and tracking - accurately identifies the stream and reduces background interference
- Alarms generated by the system directly stop the tap before the slag is carried over
- Fully automatic operation
- Accurate detection independent of charge weight
- Reliable alarm independent of the operator
- Improved connectivity through the use of Ethernet
Image Processing System (LIPS SDS-E)
- Slag Detection: Alarm activation when a preset percentage of either slag or steel detected within defined window
- User Display: Front page information display, plant logo and location identifier
- Frame Rate: 30 frames/sec
- Automatic Functions: Auto tap detection, stream identification, steel/slag ratio, video file, log file of all data, steel/slag percentage graph, all saved as tap number.
- Language: User defined
- Outputs: Digital output card, DDE, OLE, Ethernet and OPC Options
Sensor Supply Unit
- Functions: Local connection interface between imaging sensor and image processing system
- Cables: 30/150/300 m pre-wired and labelled, greater distances to 1 km are available
- Service: Water, air, power input, communications, video, located to the rear of the enclosure
- Added Protection: Sacrificial plate protects the main enclosure from direct impact
- Sighting Tube: Design significantly reduces the risk of direct impact of liquid steel against the field replaceable sapphire window
- Air Bleed: Provides positive pressure within the enclosure
- Environmental Rating: IP65
Thermal Imaging Sensor (SDS-E)
- Temperature Measurement Range: 600 to 2000 °C / 1472 to 3632 °F
- Thermal Image Resolution: 384 x 288 pixels
- Detector: Amorphous Silicon Focal Plane Array
- Field of View: 7.5° (horizontal) x 5.5° (vertical)
- Motorised Focusing Range: 4m / 13.1 ft to infinity
- Temperature Resolution: 0.5 °C (for 600 °C blackbody)
- Accuracy: ±1% absolute temperature (K)
- Air Purge, Blower unit, Setup Monitor, Sensor Carry Case