AMETEK PI - Model MGB1000 - Micro Gas Blender
Today's demanding trace impurity detection applications require the utmost in accuracy from the gas purity analyzers monitoring them. To ensure that these high technology analyzers are operating optimally, it is often necessary, or simply desired, to periodically verify their calibration.
The Trace Analytical MGB1000 Micro Gas Blender generates consistent and reliable fixed-point gas concentrations at blend ratios up to 4,545 to 1. Applications include calibration and/or certification of gas analysis instrumentation.
The MGB1000 is ideal for calibrating ta3000 and ta5000 gas analyzers with ppm or ppb mixes of a single component or mixed component gas standard. The micro volume flow path enables single step blends quickly and reliably, without consuming large quantities of zero gas.
The MGB1000 is specially engineered for long term stability. All tubing and interconnecting fittings in the primary flow path of the MBG1000 are constructed from 316 stainless steel. Electronic pressure gauges are stable to within 0.1% of full-scale reading per year. As an extra precaution, each gas inlet line is protected from particulate matter by a 2 micrometer particle filter. The pressure-to-flow relationship of the capillary restrictors does not change with time, thereby providing stability virtually over the lifetime of the product.
- Low cost of operation
- Low zero gas consumption
- Reduced cylinder gas stocking requirements
- Extremely low internal volume
- Total shut-off of CAL-gas for blank runs
- Bench-top or 19' rack-mountable
The MGB1000 meters gas flow by accurately controlling the pressure across stainless steel capillary restrictor tubes. Every restrictor is factory calibrated for flow rate versus pressure. By adjusting the pressure on the upstream side of the flow restrictor, a predetermined fixed flow rate through the restrictor can be set easily and precisely.
In Figure 1, calibration gas (CALgas) is blended with zero gas at T2. The CAL-gas flow through restrictor Rc is controlled at T1 by back-pressure regulator BPR1, while resistor Rs limits the total amount of CAL-gas that is allowed to flow through the instrument.
The flow rate of zero gas through restrictor Rz is determined by the inlet pressure, as indicated by gauge G3. Zero gas flow can be adjusted to a rate up to .25 L/min or 1.5 L/min, depending on the configuration. Vent restrictor Rv maintains a constant flow rate (~30mL/ min) through gauge G3 to prevent back-flow of any contaminants into the zero gas.
Blended gas delivery pressure is maintained at a constant setting at T3 by back pressure regulator BPR2. Depending on analyzer requirements, the blended delivery pressure to the analyzer can be set from 0.5 to 15 psig.
Note that regulators and gauges are located downstream of the primary flow path for both CAL and ZERO gases. This is a significant feature of the MGB1000, because it prevents any contamination of the blended stream due to minor leakage or outgassing at joints, gaskets, or welds.
All tubing and interconnecting fittings in the primary flow path of the MBG1000 are constructed from 316 stainless steel. Electronic pressure gauges are stable to within 0.1% of full-scale reading per year. As an extra precaution, each gas inlet line is protected from particulate matter by a 2 micrometer particle filter.
The pressure to flow relationship of the capillary restrictors does not change with time, providing stability virtually over the lifetime of the product.
- 19' rack-mount
- 1/4-inch face seal fitting adaptor kit
- Zero gas regulator
- Calibration for Ar, He, H2 or other gases (N2 included)
- CAL-gas pressure adjustments and display
- Blended gas pressure adjustment and display
- Zero gas pressure display
- Calibration gas restrictor compartment
CAL-GAS Restrictor Flow (mL/min), Typical
- @ Inlet Pressure Low Med High
- 20 psig (1.4 bar) 0.05 .025 2.0
- 100 psig (6.9 bar) 0.5 2.5 20
ZERO Gas Restrictor Flow (mL/min), Typical
- @ Inlet Pressure Low or High
- 20 psig (1.4 bar) 40 250
- 100 psig (6.9 bar) 250 1500
- CAL-gas pressure 100 psig (6.9 bar) max.
- Blend gas pressure 15 psig (1 bar) max.
- Maximum Operating Pressure 100 psig (6.9 bar)
- Linearity ± .025 psig (0.0017 bar)
- Temperature Effect (22-28°C) ± 0.5% of reading
- Repeatability ± 0.05 psig (0.0035 bar)
- 1 year stability ± 0.1 psig (0.0069 bar)
- Readout ± 0.1 psig (0.0069 bar)
- Construction, diaphragm and Housing 316 SS
Flow Rate Reproducibility Over 1 Year
- Flow Rate < 0.1 mL/min ± 2% of reading
- Flow Rate > 0.1 mL/min ± 1 % of reading
- Standard 110 VAC, 50-60 Hz
- Optional 230 VAC, 50-60 Hz
- Internal piping, primary flow path 316 stainless steel
- Internal volume, primary flow path < 0.5 mL
- Rear Panel gas ports 1/16' compression
Dimensions 5.3' H x 16.8' W x 14.0' D (133 mm x 427 mm x 356 mm)
- Net 15.5 lb (6.8 kg)
- Shipping 18.0 lb (8.2 kg)