Amptek - Model XR-100SDD - Silicon Drift Detector (SDD)
The XR-100SDD is a thermoelectrically cooled solid-state silicon drift detector (SDD) and preamplifier. It is recommended for applications requiring the best energy resolution, very high count rates, and lowest X-ray energies. Its performance, small size, and low cost make it the ideal detector for many laboratory and OEM X-ray spectroscopy applications, including EDS and XRF.
The XR-100SDD can provide a resolution of 125 eV FWHM at the Mn Kα line (electronic noise of 4.5 electrons rms), a peak to background of 20,000:1, an output count rate over 500 kcps, and can detect X-rays down to the Be Kα line (110 eV). It has a 25 mm2active area and is 500 μm thick.
The standard XR-100SDD has a 0.5 mil Be window for good efficiency above 2 keV. For lower energies, the optional Patented C-Series windows available with our FAST SDD®provide good efficiency down to the B line. For count rates >200 kcps, the FAST SDD®is recommended.
In the XR-100SDD, the detector is mounted on an extender (several different lengths are available), with the preamplifier in the attached metal box. It requires a separate signal processor and power supplies; Amptek’s PX5 is recommended and is ideally suited for most laboratory uses. The same SDD detectors are available in the smaller X-123SDDpackage or with smaller preamplifiers for OEMs and custom systems.
- 125 eV FWHM Resolution @ 5.9 keV
- High Peak-to-Background Ratio – 20,000:1
- 25 mm2 – collimated to 17 mm2
- 500 µm Thick
- 2-Stage Thermoelectric Cooler
- Cooling ΔT>85 K
- Temperature Monitor
- Thin Beryllium 0.3 or 0.5 mil
Patented C-Series windows available with FAST SDD
- Multilayer Collimator
- Hermetic Package (TO-8)
- Wide Detection Range
- Easy to Operate
- Radiation Hard
- X-Ray Fluorescence
- Precious metals
- Alloy analysis
- Light elements
- Teaching and Research
- Process Control
- Mössbauer Spectrometers
- Wavelength dispersive XRF
Amptek recently brought silicon wafer manufacturing in-house and improved the process. The result is a detector with lower noise, lower leakage current, better charge collection, and uniformity from detector to detector.
- Lower noise → Better resolution down to 125 eV FWHM
- Lower leakage current → Higher temperature operation (save battery life)
- Better charge collection → Better photopeak shape (no tailing)
- Quality → Detectors have consistent performance allowing for easier calibrations
The XR-100SDD is an enhanced version of Amptek’s thermoelectrically cooled X-ray detectors. It uses a silicon drift detector (SDD), a silicon photodiode with a special electrode configuration giving very low capacitance, resulting in low electronic noise at high frequencies. This provides the improved energy resolution and count rate. The SDD uses special “drift” electrodes to guide the charge into its anode, hence the name “drift detector”.
As with Amptek’s other XR-100 detectors, the photodiode is mounted on a two stage thermoelectric cooler, keeping the detector and its input JFET at approximately -55 °C, reducing electronic noise without cryogenic liquid nitrogen. This cooling permits high performance in a compact, convenient package, and has been a core enabler of the portable XRF analyzer.
The hermetic TO-8 package of the detector has a light tight, vacuum tight, thin Be window to enable soft X-ray detection. There is vacuum inside the enclosure for optimum cooling. The XR-100SDD detector includes an internal multilayer collimator to minimize background and spectral artifacts. It has a reset-style preamplifier.
In the XR-100SDD, the preamplifier is enclosed in a metal box, 3.0 x 1.75 x 1.125 in (76.2 x 44.45 x 28.58 mm), with the detector on an extender (available lengths range from 3/8” to 9” or 9.53 to 228.6 mm). The XR-100SDD with a 5” or 9” extender is suitable for vacuum measurements, using the optional CP75 vacuum flange. Alternate preamplifiers are available, recommended for OEMs or where space is limited.
- Detector Type: Silicon Drift Detector (SDD)
- Detector Area: 25 mm2 – collimated to 17 mm2
- Silicon Thickness: 500 µm
- Collimator: Internal Multilayer
- Energy Resolution @ 5.9 keV (55Fe): 125 – 135 eV FWHM at 11.2 µs peaking time
- Peak to Background: 20,000:1 (ratio of counts from 5.9 keV to 1 keV) (typical)
- Detector Window Options: Beryllium (Be): 0.5 mil (12.5 µm) or 0.3 mil (8 µm)
- Patented C-Series: C1 and C2 low energy windows available with FastSDD
- Charge Sensitive Preamplifier: Amptek custom reset preamplifier.
- Gain Stability: <20 ppm/°C (typical)
- XR-100SDD Case Size: 3.00 x 1.75 x 1.13 in (7.6 x 4.4 x 2.9 cm)
- XR-100SDD Weight: 4.4 ounces (125 g)
- Total Power: <2 Watt
- Warranty Period: 1 Year
- Typical Device Lifetime: 5 to 10 years, depending on use
- Operation conditions: -35 °C to +80 °C
- Storage and Shipping: Long term storage: 10+ years in dry environment
- Typical Storage and Shipping: -40 °C to +85 °C, 10 to 90% humidity noncondensing
- TUV Certification
- Certificate #: CU 72072412 02
- Tested to: UL 61010-1: 2004 R7 .05
- CAN/CSA-C22.2 61010-1: 2004Inputs
- Preamp Power: ±8 to 9 V @ 15 mA with no more than 50 mV peak-to-peak noise
- Detector Power: -100 to -180 V @ 25 µA very stable <0.1% variation
- Cooler Power: Current = 450 mA maximum, voltage = 3.5 V maximum with <100 mV peak-to-peak noise
- Note: When the XR-100SDD is provided without an Amptek DPP, it includes its own closed loop temperature controller. When shipped with an Amptek DPP, temperature control is done by the DPP. (Delta_Tmax=85°C)
- Preamplifier Sensitivity: 0.8 mV/keV typical
- Preamplifier Polarity: Positive signal output (1 kohm maximum load)
- Preamplifier Feedback: Reset
- Preamplifier Output Rise Time: <60 ns
- Temperature Monitor Sensitivity: PX5: direct reading in Kelvin through software.
- XR-100SDD Connectors
- Preamp Output: BNC coaxial connector
- Power and Signal: 6-Pin LEMO connector (Part# ERA.1S.306.CLL)
- Interconnect Cable: XR-100SDD to PX5: 6-Pin LEMO (Part# FFA.1S.306.CLAC57) to 6-Pin LEMO (5 ft length)
- XR-100SDD stand-alone: 6-Pin LEMO (Part# FFA.1S.306.CLAC57) to 9-Pin D (5 ft length)
XR-100SDD 6-Pin LEMO Connector Pin Out
- Pin 1: Temperature monitor diode
- Pin 2: -H.V. Detector Bias, -100 to -180 V
- Pin 3: -9 V Preamp power
- Pin 4: +9 V Preamp power
- Pin 5: Cooler power return
- Pin 6: Cooler power
- 0 to +3.5 V @ 450 mA
- Case: Ground and shield