AntiChlor™ - Model 30 - Liquid Dechlorinating Agent Used in Mild, Non-Oxidizing Biostat
From Chlorine Scavengers
- A powerful dechlorinating agent to help protect polyamide membranes from permanent damage.
- Compatible with polyamide and cellulose acetate membranes.
- Can be used to preserve membranes in storage or as an on-line biostat for membrane systems.
- A 30% sodium bisulfite (NaHSO3) solution containing 20% active sulfur dioxide (SO2).
- Extremely economical when compared to other methods of chlorine removal.
The use rate of AntiChlor 30 for free chlorine is 4.5 mg/l of neat AntiChlor 30 for each mg/l of free chlorine. The neat use rate for combined chlorine (monochloramine) is 6.1 mg/l of neat AntiChlor 30 for each mg/l of combined chlorine.
The following table lists AntiChlor 30 feed rates as a function of feedwater chlorine concentration. The table bases values upon a feed rate of 100 gpm (22.7 m3/hr) and a 100% theoretical required dosage.
Table 1. Feed Rates for AntiChlor 30 Chlorine Scavenge
Multiplying the AntiChlor 30 feed rate by 1.2 provides a 20% safety factor. Always confirm chlorine removal by direct chemical analysis.
In systems where non-oxidizing biocides cannot be used, AntiChlor 30 liquid can be applied as an alternative. Recirculate a 1% wt/wt solution through the membrane system for 30-60 minutes. Follow with an alkaline cleaner, such as RoClean P111 or
RoClean L211, to remove organic products produced by the inoculation of bacteria and other microorganisms.
Recirculate a 3% wt/wt solution through the membrane system for 30 minutes. Ensure the system is completely full. Close the system valves to prevent draining. Check pH weekly and replace solution if pH changes.
When diluting the solution, use the minimum agitation necessary to achieve proper mixing. The freeze point for this formulation is 25-32°F (-3.6-0.0°C).
Packaging and Storage
Standard regional pack sizes are listed below. Information on drumless or bulk tanker delivery is available on request. Product should be stored at a temperature greater than 41°F (5°C) to prevent seed crystal formation.
- Appearance: Clear, colorless to pale yellow liquid
- pH (as supplied): 3.5-5.5
- Specific gravity @ 20˚C: 1.15-1.35