Artisan Dualflo - Distillation Trays
Dualflo distillation trays offer a simple solution to difficult distillation or stripping processes, especially in fouling service. They use the entire column cross-section as active mass transfer surface, enabling higher throughput and eliminating dead spots. Simplicity of design and ease of cleaning greatly reduce both installation and operating costs.
Dualflo trays eliminate the need for overflow weirs and downcomers. With no downcomer, the liquid and vapor streams flow countercurrent to each other through the same small sieves in the tray. Sieve size can be as small as 1/8 inch for relatively clean service and small solid particles, or as large as ½ inch for severe fouling service containing large solid particles.
The sieves are scrubbed by the turbulent vapor/liquid traffic in the column. By design, this reduces fouling and eliminates the potential accumulation of solids in the tray openings.
Dualflo trays offer the following advantages over more complicated tray designs:
- Lower capital cost
- Easier to install, remove and clean
- Efficiency equivalent to bubble cap, valve or conventional sieve trays
- Stays clean longer when processing fouling or solids-containing liquids
- Less downtime for maintenance
- Turn down as high as 4:1
How Dualflo® trays work
Column F-factors range from 1 to 3 depending on the physical properties of the liquid. Overall tray efficiencies range from 20 to 80% depending on the application.
Materials of construction include stainless steel (300 series and Duplex), carbon steel, nickel, Inconel®, Monel®, Hastelloy®, and titanium.
Distillation of solids-containing and fouling materials
Distilling solids containing, foaming, and fouling aqueous and organic materials can be difficult and expensive.
Artisan’s proprietary Dualflo distillation column and trays demonstrate superior performance in severe applications where packing or conventional trays have failed. Compared to conventional trays, Dualflo trays eliminate the need for overflow weirs and downcomers. They use the entire column cross-section as an active mass transfer surface, enabling higher throughput and eliminating dead spots. Simplicity of design and ease of cleaning greatly reduce both installation and operating costs.
Other Dualflo applications:
- Removing contaminants down to low ppm levels
- Processing feeds containing dissolved and suspended solids with no pre-treatment in most cases
- Stripping off aromatic hydrocarbons, all common chlorinated solvents, alcohols, ketones, and other
- miscellaneous solvents/hydrocarbons
- Fractionation, stripping, deodorizing or any other operation requiring gas-liquid contact
For these applications, Artisan recommends our Dualflo® distillation trays to strip volatiles from the product. Their simple design offers the following advantages over more complicated tray designs: