Phoenix PelletPAVE - Asphalt Pelleting Plants
This process creates a high performance binder made of a unique blend of premium quality asphalt cement, crumb rubber made from recycled waste tires, hydrated lime and other special additives. This material is produced in a proprietary pelleting process for easy and economical storage, transportation and use.
The All-in-One Sustainable Paving Solution
The PelletPAVE™ family of products are high performance, engineered binder enhancers made of a unique blend of premium quality asphalt cement, crumb rubber made from recycled waste tires and other special additives. These mateirals are blended in a proprietary process into a pelletized form for easy and economical storage, transportation and use. This convenient, all-in-one solution is excellent for remote area paving where typical modified binders are or too costly, or not available at all.
Performance Is The Key
All PelletPAVE formulas start with 'wet process' blended and reacted asphalt rubber, as defined by ASTM D6114. Then in the pelletizing process, depending on the application, various additives are added creating binders that have shown repeatedly to outperform other more expensive modified binders.
Improved mix properties include:
- Increased tensile strength
- More elasticity
- Better adhesion and cohesion
- Greater low temperature flexibility
- Elevated high temperature stiffness
The PelletPAVE pelletization process creates a pre-manufactured matrix of asphalt and modifiers with an outer shell coating to keep the pellets in a free-flowing form that is transported and stored at ambient temperature, thus saving enormous amounts of energy normally required to keep the asphalt as a molten liquid. This energy savings also greatly reduces CO2 emissions.
At the time of use, the proportional amount of the PelletPAVE additive is mixed, either through a RAP collar of a continuous drum plant or directly into the mixer of a batch plant where it is blended with the base oil (e.g., PG 64 -22) and heated aggregate to produce a modified hot mix asphalt.
A Blend For All Your Paving Needs
- PelletPAVE | Plus - Is used as a substitute for SBS polymers to modify a base bitumen to provide increased high temperature rut resistance and reduce cracking in extreme low temperatures. In a typical HMA application approximately 1% (by total weight of mix) ofPelletPAVE | Plus would be added to a base bitumen to meet a PG 76 -22 performance requirement. This product is produced with a very fine crumb rubber to facilitate industry accepted Dynamic Shear Rheometer testing at a 2mm gap.
- PelletPAVE | AR - This product is used as an alternative to the difficult field blending process when the project specification calls for a high rubber content, high viscosity Asphalt Rubber binder. Typically used at an application rate of 2.5% (by total weight of mix) to meet Asphalt Rubber binders' requirements for Viscosity, Penetration, Softening Point and Resilience. PelletPAVE | AR can be produced with any size/gradation of crumb rubber to meet local agency requirements.
- PelletPAVE | WM - Specifically formulated to be used in warm mix applications to help reduce energy cost during the production phase and add to the ability to haul paving mix for longer distances. In many cases, warm mix technology can help extending the paving season by being able to pave at lower temperatures. PelletPAVE |WM includes a special foaming agent to aide with mix compaction and increase workability at lower temperatures without giving up mix performance.
Designed to meet the needs of the growing modified asphalt market, without all the hassles:
- No need for agitated storage tanks
- No more field blending at the hot plant site
- No additional equipment required
- No chance of material separating in storage tanks