YES - Model ARL-9000 - Automated Radiosonde Launcher (ARL)
From Upper Air
The Automated Radiosonde Launcher (ARL) is a low cost system that permits unattended upper air observations. It is a robust and fault-tolerant system that automates radiosonde observations. It is compatible with a variety of commercial radiosondes. The ARL is ideal for remote locations, manpower limited operations, and mobile requirements.
The ARL takes a manually intensive task and reduces it to a periodic maintenance routine. Because the it automates every step in the launch process personnel are free to perform more important value-added tasks, and human errors are eliminated.
- Model ARL-9000: The fixed-base system processes up to 8 upper air observations automatically. The ARL reduces manpower costs, while increasing data availability.
- Model ARL-9001: The trailer-mounted mobile system processes up to 8 upper air observations automatically.
Once loaded, the ARL system automatically:
- powers up a radiosonde
- checks the RF link
- starts data acquisition
- performs a verification of the radiosonde temperature and humidity signals
- acquires real time wind, temperature and dew point data from a Model PTU-2000 thermohygrometer
- inflates a balloon and verifies inflation
- releases the balloon
- verifies the payload is successfully away
- continuously captures data for flight duration
- transfers data to a central data archive
- returns to idle state and prepares for next launch
- LORAN-C and GPS wind-finding options
- Operator safety: operators only need visit the system occasionally to load expendables, avoiding hazardous weather
- Can be automated for preset release times or conveniently remote-controlled via the Internet to capture rapidly changing weather events
- Supports XDR-928 GPS digital radiosondes
- Numerical Weather Prediction: Input for weather forecast models
- Operational Weather: Permanent upper air observing system for commercial and military applications. Mobile and tactical options available.
- Remote Sensing: Ground truth validation for calibration of satellite platforms
- Scientific Research: Global warming and climate change studies
- Field Experiments: ARL-9001 mobile version is ideal for storm-chasing/research
- Space/physical footprint-limited locations
- Labor Reduction: Replacement of human operators at remote or hostile locations