Bioprocess Control - Model AMPTS II - Automatic Methane Potential Test System
The Automatic Methane Potential Test System (AMPTS) II is the analytical tool preferred by scientists and engineers for conducting various anaerobic batch fermentation tests. This includes performing, with up to 15 test vials, biochemical methane potential (BMP) tests, anaerobic biodegradability studies, specific methanogenic activity (SMA) assays, as well as conducting residual gas potential (RGP) analyses on digested slurry. All of this is performed with easy access to sampling, analysis, recording and report generation; fully integrated and automated. - Highly precise and accurate data - Significant reductions in time and labour - Standardisation of measurement procedures, data interpretation and reports - User-friendly operations with remote access to sampling, analysis, recording and report generation; fully integrated and automated.
Determine the true bio-methane potential
The Automatic Methane Potential Test System (AMPTS) II allows users to conduct anaerobic toxicity assays and determine the true biochemical methane potential (biomethane potential) and dynamic degradation profile of any biomass substrate.
This in turn will allow users to more easily determine the optimal retention time and mix of substrates for co-digesting, screen proper pre-treatment methods and evaluate the need for additives.
Significantly reduce your labour demands
The AMPTS II is a well engineered analytical device developed for on-line measurements of ultra low biomethane and biogas flows produced from the anaerobic digestion of any biological degradable substrate at laboratory scale.
The automated analytical procedure significantly reduces labour demands for carrying out methane potential (biomethane potential) tests when compared to traditional methods or competitive solutions on the market.
Standardise and compare results
The AMPTS II is a universal platform for all anaerobic biodegradability, methane potential (BMP) and specific methanogenic activity (SMA) test protocols, allowing for the standardisation of measurement procedures, data interpretation and reports.
This allows for methane potential (biomethane potential) and toxicity assay data from different laboratories around the world to be easily compared, thus creating value over and above the high quality results obtained from operating the AMPTS II.
Get Access to Highly Precise and Accurate Data
The real-time performance and outstanding features of the AMPTS II satisfies the highest demands for data accuracy and precision with regards to methane potential (biomethane potential) tests and anaerobic toxicity assays. This high quality data can be used to extract important kinetic information of the degradation process, which in turn provides for a much better understanding of the dynamic degradation behaviour of a specific substrate.
- Highly precise and accurate data
- Significant reduction in time and labour
- Standardisation of measurement procedures, data interpretation and reports
- User-friendly operation with remote access
Outstanding Real-time Performance
The AMPTS II is an efficient analytical instrument for conducting real-time BMP, anaerobic biodegradability and SMA assays – having sampling, analysis, recording and report generation fully integrated and automated.
A multi-channel analyser consisting of 15 parallel reactors and the same number of gas flow meters (flow cells) attached to a data acquisition system, allows for the real-time investigation of a high number of samples. This unique design makes the AMPTS II an extremely precise and accurate instrument, and with a wide range of applications.
Temperature and Pressure Compensation
The real-time temperature and pressure compensation feature of the AMPTS II ensures that the impact of measurement conditions can be minimised and data presentation standardised.
The temperature and pressure of gas are measured every time a flow cell opens, allowing the user to derive exact kinetic information compensated for any variation over time, while considering the vapour content of the gas. The normalised volumes are presented under dry conditions at 0 °C and 1 atm.
Automatic Removal of Gas Overestimation
Methane gas overestimation arises after flushing the system with an inert gas such as nitrogen. Consequently, carbon dioxide in the newly formed biogas is mistakenly counted as methane gas. This can lead, in some cases, to an overestimation of methane gas production by as much as 20–30%, and even more depending on the volume of the headspace. The AMPTS II calculates and removes this overestimation, providing for more accurate and reliable data on methane gas production.
Network ready and easy access
The AMPTS II is designed to allow easy access from a remote location. Through the use of standard protocols and connections, the AMPTS II behaves like any other unit on an internal network, secured by a user-definable password.
All interactions with the software are conducted through a web browser using any computer. Thus, experiment monitoring can be carried out with any smartphone or tablet.
The analytical capacity of AMPTS II can be easily expanded by connecting multiple instruments together with an Ethernet switch. With this feature, each AMPTS II can be operated alone or connected in parallel for analytical capacity expansion, entirely depending on user needs.
Stable and reliable operation
The internal software of the AMPTS II runs on an embedded ARM CPU utilising the Linux operating system. This provides for an unmatched stability, data protection and minimum downtime. Thus, users will never experience data loss under normal operating conditions, which is always a risk with PC based solutions. Software updates issued by Bioprocess Control can be installed by the user in a controlled and easy manner.
A software application designed for methane potential tests
The AMPTS web-based software application has been specially designed for carrying out methane potential and other anaerobic batch fermentation tests. This application, which is easy to understand and navigate, allows users to set-up an experiment, monitor its progress and download results with little effort. Moreover, all data is in a format that allows for easy analysis.
The AMPTS software application is simply a natural extension of an already universal hardware platform that has been designed for carrying out methane potential, specific methanogenic activity and anaerobic biodegradability tests.
Total control throughout an experiment
The Control feature of the AMPTS soft-ware application allows users to control both the mixing of reactors and status of each batch test in real-time during an ongoing experiment. Users can control the interval, speed, rotation direction and on/off time of mechanical agitation to ensure each reactor is operated under optimum mass transfer conditions. Users can also easily start, pause and stop data acquisition of an ongoing experiment at any time by means of a simple to use control feature for each individual experimental line, which also indicates the status of a test line at all times.
Overall, this allows users to have optimal control of all reactors and batch experiments at all times with the simple click of a virtual button from the software user interface.
See your experiment in real-time and anywhere
The Graph feature of the AMPTS software application and embedded web server allows users to see their experiment in real-time and from anywhere. Users can easily monitor the accumulated gas volume and flow rate of each reactor in real-time by selecting and viewing only the one they wish to see. Moreover, all values displayed are already adjusted for gas volumes normalized to 1 atmospheric pressure, 0 °C and zero moisture content.
If a flush gas with a different gas composition from biogas is used for establishing an anaerobic condition, the impact of the flush gas is also taken care of by the AMPTS software application.
This flexibility and precision allow AMPTS users to always know the status of an experiment, as well as the data being produced.
Visit the AMPTS II software demo!
Take a tour of the AMPTS II software demo by clicking on this link.
Sample Incubation Unit
- Maximum number of reactors per system: 15
- Reactor material: glass
- Standard reactor volume: 500 ml
- Dimension of unit: 59 x 34 x 28 cm
- Temperature control: up to 95 °C (203 °F) (precision of 0.2 °C)
- Mixing in the reactor: Multifunctional agitation system with brushless DC motor for long-life operation. Remote speed and on/off control via AMPTS II software control interface. Manually adjustable direction and time interval, as well as timer function to set time periods for reversal. Modular design for low maintenance. Rotating speed range: 10-200 rpm.
Carbon Dioxide Absorption Unit
- Carbon dioxide trap bottles: 15
- Volume of carbon dioxide trap bottles: 100 ml
- Dimension of unit: 44 x 30 x 6 cm
- Absorption liquid: 3 M NaOH with pH indicator, 80 ml per bottle (not included)
- Absorption efficiency: >98%
Flow cell array and DAQ unit
- Working principle: liquid displacement and buoyancy Up to 15 cells running in parallel built-in pressure and temperature sensor
- Measuring resolution: 9 ml (standard) or 2 ml (optional)
- Detection capacity: up to 12 l cumulative gas per channel for each batch test with 9 ml flow cell; up to 2.5 l cumulative gas per channel for each batch test with 2 ml flow cell
- Measuring range for instant gas flow rate: 9 to 110 ml/min for 9 ml flow cell; 2 to 24 ml/min for 2 ml flow cell. Integrated data acquisition (maximum capacity 2×104 flow cell openings)
- Dimension: 51 x 44 x 18 cm
- Housing: plastic
- Measuring precision: CV ≤ 1%
Software & System
A software application specially designed for biogas potential and anaerobic biodegradability tests
- Web-based software running on an embedded server
- Online real-time gas flow and volume display
- Automatic real-time pressure and temperature compensation
- Real-time gas flow and volume normalisation
- Algorithm to avoid overestimation of gas flow and volume that may be introduced by flush gas during experiment setup
- Possibility of multiplexing, allowing for simultaneous batch analysis at different startup times
- User-friendly guidelines for experiment setup
- On-line system logger for operational diagnosis
- Power supply: 12V DC / 5A (Flow cell array and DAQ unit); 24V DC /2.7A (mechanical agitation)
- Usage: indoor