Significantly reduce your labour demands
The AMPTS II is a well engineered analytical device developed for on-line measurements of ultra low biomethane and biogas flows produced from the anaerobic digestion of any biological degradable substrate at laboratory scale.The automated analytical procedure significantly reduces labour demands for carrying out methane potential tests when compared to traditional methods or competitive solutions on the market.
Standardise and compare results
The AMPTS II is a universal platform for all anaerobic biodegradability, toxicity assay, and methane potential ( biomethane potential ) test protocols, allowing for the standardisation of measurement procedures, data interpretation & reports. This allows for methane potential (biomethane potential) & toxicity assay data from different laboratories around world to be easily compared, thus creating value over and above the high quality results obtained from operating the AMPTS II.
Get access to highly precise and accurate data
The real-time performance and outstanding features of the AMPTS II satisfy the highest demands for data accuracy and precision with regards to methane potential ( biomethane potential ) tests and anaerobic toxicity assays. This high quality data can be used to extract important kinetic information of the degradation process, which in turn provides for a much better understanding of the dynamic degradation behaviour of a specific substrate.
Outstanding real-time performance
The AMPTS II is an efficient analytical instrument for conducting real-time BMP assays, having sampling, analysis, recording and report generation fully integrated and automated. A multi-channel analyser consisting of 15 parallel reactors and the same number of gas flow meters (flow cells) attached to a data acquisition system, allows for the real-time investigation of a high number of samples. This unique design makes the AMPTS II an extremely precise and accurate instrument, and with a wide range of applications.
Automatic removal of gas overestimation
Methane gas overestimation arises after flushing the system with an inert gas such as nitrogen. Consequently, carbon dioxide in the newly formed biogas is mistakenly counted as methane gas. This can lead, in some cases, to an overestimation of methane gas production by as much as 20-30%, and even more depending on the volume of the headspace. The AMPTS II calculates and removes this overestimation, providing for more accurate and reliable data on methane gas production.
Temperature and pressure compensation
The real-time temperature and pressure compensation feature of the AMPTS II ensures that the impact of measurement conditions can be minimised and data presentation standardised. The temperature and pressure of gas are measured every time a flow cell opens, allowing the user to derive exact kinetic information compensated for any variation over time, while considering the vapour content of the gas. The normalised volumes are presented under dry conditions at 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atm.
Stable and reliable operation
The internal software of the AMPTS II runs on an embedded ARM CPU utilising the Linux operating system. This provides for an unmatched stability, data protection and minimum downtime. Thus, users will never experience data loss under normal operating conditions, which is always a risk with PC based solutions. Software updates issued by Bioprocess Control can be installed by the user in a controlled and easy manner.
Network ready and easy access
The AMPTS II is designed to allow easy access from a remote location. Through the use of standard protocols and connections, the AMPTS II behaves like any other unit on an internal network, secured by a user definable password. All interactions with the software are conducted through a web browser using any computer. Thus, experiment monitoring can be carried out with iPhone or iPad mobile devices, systems running on the Android platform, or Windows phones.
A software application designed for methane potential tests
The AMPTS web-based software application is the natural extension of an already universal hardware platform. It has been specially designed for carrying out methane potential, specific methanogenic activity and anaerobic biodegradability tests.
This easy to understand application enables users to set-up an experiment, monitor its progress and download the results with little effort. Moreover, all data is in a format that allows for easy analysis.
Total control throughout an experiment
The Control feature of the AMPTS software application lets users manage both the mixing of reactors and status of each batch test in real-time during an ongoing experiment. Users can control the speed and on/off time of mechanical agitation to ensure that each reactor is operated under optimum mass transfer conditions.
It also enables easy start, pause and stop data acquisition of an ongoing experiment. Overall, users are given optimal control of all reactors and batch experiments at all times with the simple click of a virtual button from the software user interface.
See your experiment in real-time and anywhere
The Graph feature and embedded web server shows the experiment in real-time and from anywhere. Monitor the accumulated gas volume and flow rate of each reactor by selecting and viewing only the one you wish to see.
All values displayed are already adjusted for gas volumes normalized to 1 atm, 0 °C and zero moisture content. If a flush gas with a different gas composition from biogas is used for establishing an anaerobic condition, the impact of the flush gas is also taken care of.
Sample Incubation Unit
- Maximum number of reactors per system: 15
- Reactor material: glass
- Standard reactor volume: 500 ml
- Dimension of unit: 53 x 33 x 24 cm
- Temperature control: up to 95 °C (203 °F) (precision of 0.2 °C)
- Mixing in the reactor: Multifunctional agitation system with Brushless DC Motor for long-life operation. Remote speed and on/off control via AMPTS II software control interface. Manually adjustable direction and time interval, as well as timer function to set time periods for reversal. Modular design for low maintenance. Rotating speed range: 10-200 rpm.
Carbon Dioxide Absorption Unit
- Carbon dioxide trap bottles: 15
- Volume of carbon dioxide trap bottles: 100 ml
- Dimension of unit: 44 x 30 x 6 cm
- Absorption liquid: 3 M NaOH with pH indicator, 80 ml per bottle (not included)
- Absorption efficiency: >98%
Software and System
- A software application specially designed for biogas potential and anaerobic biodegradability tests
- Web based software running on an embedded server
- On-line real-time gas flow and volume display
- Automatic real-time pressure and temperature compensation
- Real-time gas flow and volume normalisation
- Algorithm to avoid overestimation of gas flow and volume (that may be introduced by flush gas during experiment setup)
- Possibility of multiplexing, allowing for simultaneous batch analysis at different startup times
- User friendly guidelines for experiment setup
- On-line system logger for operational diagnosis
- Power supply: 12 V DC / 5A
- Usage: indoor
Flow cell array and DAQ unit
- Working principle: liquid displacement & buoyancy
- Up to 15 cells running in parallel
- Built-in pressure and temperature sensor
- Measuring resolution: 10 ml
- Detection capacity: up to 13 l cumulative gas per channel for each batch test
- Measuring range for instant gas flow rate: 10 to 120 ml/min
- Integrated data acquisition (maximum capacity 2 × 104 flow cell openings)
- Dimension: 51 x 44 x 18 cm
- Housing: plastic
- Repeatability: ±1%