ACME - Model ACRS Series - Automatic Scraper Strainer
The ACME Automatic Scraper Strainer has been designed to remove solids from 150mm in size down to 75 micron particles. The general literature piece describes the various connection options available as well as the advantages of a scraper strainer over a backwash strainer. These strainers are available with connections from 1' up to 36' in fabricated carbon steel, stainless steel and various alloys such as Alloy 20 and monel. All internal components, including the wedgewire screen are constructed of SS316L for durability and longevity. Special designs are available for viscous fluids, suction-side installations and jacketed vessels. All strainers are fabricated to the exact design requirements of each client and are still cost-competitive with cast-vessel backwash strainers from Acme's main competitors. As of June 2007, ACRS strainers can now be ordered with FRP vessels for maximum corrosion resistance in seawater or process applications.
- Removes large and small particles
- Fabricated strainer in any metal
- Connection arrangements to suit any application requirements
- Self adjusting scraper-strainer action
- Does not use backwash system or clean water for contaminant removal
- Automatic operation, self-cleaning with practically no maintenance
- ASME section VIII, Div. 1, code stamped, available
- River and lake water intakes
- Cooling tower water
- Cooling water to power plants and chemical processes
- Wastewater from textile mills, laundries and other contaminated effluents
- Heavy slurries from power plants
- White water to paper machine showers
- Water to spraying systems
- Black liquor to burners
The ACME Automatic Scraper-Strainers are supplied with a control system suitable for the application and incorporating the ﬂexibility of ﬁeld adjustments.
Major Components of the System
- Control panel enclosure, NEMA 1, 4/12 with terminal block, indicating lights and selector switches. The panel is installed on the strainer or supplied separately for remote installation.
- Fused circuit and magnetic starter with overload for the scraper motor.
- Adjustable cycle timer for the scraper motor and blowdown valve operation.
- Differential pressure switch for scraper motor operation.
- Blowdown valve –electrically or pneumatically actuated.
- Integral audible and visual alarm circuit with contacts for remote supervision.
- 230V, 380V, 440V, 575V, 1 PH or 3 PH, 50 or 60Hz.
- Disconnect switch, door interlocked.
- Control of other ﬁltration system components, such as pumps, ﬁlter presses, automatic
- valves, associated controls, etc, all to be incorporated into a single ACME control system.
- PLC control of the complete system as above.
- Pneumatic interface for valve actuation or other pneumatic items included in the above.
- Control of isolating knife gate valves and ﬂushing solenoid valves associated with waste collector systems attached to the scraper-strainer.
- Control of vacuum pumps in the drain line for ACME Scraper-Strainers installed on the suction side of main system pumps
ACME Automatic selfcleaning Scraper-Strainers can remove both large and small particles from dirty or contaminated fluid flows.
The ACME design is particularly suitable for large particles because it uses dirty water for the blowdown cycle. The particle size is not limited by the cleaning suction arm inlet or the size of the backwash outlet opening, common limitations of backwash-type units.
Rotating the blades scrapes the inside surface of the screen, dislodging foreign matter which is then flushed away with dirty liquid by automatic or periodic blowdown.
There are two models of ACME Automatic Scraper-Strainers:
Model: ACRS-L designed for “in-line” pipe installations. This construction also has a flanged bottom section which provides inspection access without removing the top flange assembly. This flanged bottom section can also be sized to act as a collector if so required by the application.
Model: ACRS-OF designed for offset installations. The inlet and outlet connections can be at different levels or indifferent directions.
Both models are fabricated units. Standard materials for body and bonnet are carbon steel, stainless steel 304 or stainless steel 316.
Rotor types available are standard blade in one or more sections, brush type in stainless steel or teflon which are self adjusting for efficient cleaning. Worm-type rotors are also available.
Perforated metal, mesh or wedge-wire screens are provided depending on the application.
An electric motor with an associated gear train drives the scraper shaft. A timer programs the operation of the scraper motor and of the blowdown valve. A differential pressure switch is standard on all units and will override the programmed operation if the pressure drop across the ACME Scraper-Strainer exceeds a selected value. Visual and audible alarms are incorporated in the control panel of the unit.
Because of their construction, durability and flexibility, ACME Automatic Scraper-Strainers are acost-effective solution to a wide range of demanding filtration applications