ARoNite - Autotrophic Reduction System
ARoNite harnesses the power of naturally occurring autotrophic bacteria to reduce nitrate contamination in water. Autotrophic bacteria convert oxidized compounds through a natural reduction process absent of a traditional carbon source – ARoNite creates the optimal environment for these types of bacteria to flourish and perform.
The process is simple and elegant. With a few inexpensive inputs (influent water, power, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide), we solve notoriously difficult water challenges without creating hard-to-manage brine’ or waste by-products. As a result, the process eliminates costs and complexity issues associated with traditional technologies in the market.
Hydrogen is produced on-site and on-demand, thereby eliminating issues with gas handling and storage.
Influent water is pumped through the reactor at flows up to 40 gallons per minute. Inside the reactor, the autotrophic bacteria reduce nitrate to nitrogen gas which in turn is released into the atmosphere.
Treated water is sent downstream to filtration and disinfection before it is distributed into the local drinking water supply.
APT Water Solution
- Can supply turn-key solutions for onsite water treatment
- Systems can be fully-integrated packaged process solutions available for rapid deployment
- Modular design approach consists of standardized component blocks that can be assembled to accommodate a wide range of capacity requirements
- A standard O&M contract is included with every system to minimize capital outlay and assures long-term trouble-free performance
- Hydrogen is either generated or delivered on site
- Carbon Dioxide is delivered on site and used to control pH
- Carbon Dioxide & Hydrogen are fed to the ARo Reactor creating the optimum environment for the biofilm
- Contaminated water is fed to the ARo Reactor allowing the biofilm to grow and reduce the target contaminant from the water
- Treated water is filtered and disinfected using conventional technologies before discharge to distribution system
- Naturally occurring biology grows on the surface of a gas diffusion membrane sheet woven of a proprietary hollow fibers
- Several of these sheets are spiral wound around a water feed tube with a water channel spaced between the sheets
- Hydrogen and Carbon Dioxide are fed to the lumen of the hollow fibers
- Water passes between the sheets making contact with the biofilm
- Nitrates are reduced to Nitrogen and Water
- Over time, cells fall off into water and are filtered
At the heart of every ARoNite system is the hollow fiber media that serves as both a biological growth platform and gas delivery substrate to support the natural reduction process. In simple terms, the ARoNite hollow fiber media creates the perfect environment for the bacteria, as it allows biofilm to grow directly on its “food” source.
Hydrogen and carbon dioxide are delivered across the hollow fiber media under slight pressure. The autotrophic bacteria assimilate inorganic carbon from the alkalinity, phosphorus, and other trace nutrients from the influent stream to build cell mass. Influent nitrate is then reduced to innocuous nitrogen gas and released into the atmosphere. As a result, the ARoNite system destroys the contamination without producing waste by-product.
AroNite Features & Benefits
- Cost-efficient alternative to conventional RO and IX processes
- All natural process, no organic carbon source added
- No Brine or concentrate
- No waste hauling problem
- Energy saving and lessbiomass yield
- Final sludge non-toxic suitable for use as soil amendment
- CDPH( California Department of Public Health ) Approval
- NSF-61 for drinking water system certificate