BHS Sonthofen - Model RPF - Rotary Pressure Filter
The BHS Rotary Pressure Filter (type RPF) is a continuously operating filter for pressure filtration. It facilitates gas-tight cake handling in a series of separate process steps. Cake discharge can take place at atmospheric pressure. The rotary pressure filter supports a broad range of process steps during a single rotation of the drum. Further processes can be carried out after separating the slurry into filtrate and filter cake:
- Single- or multi-stage cake washing
- Displacement washing, counter-current washing, closed-cycle washing
- Solvent exchange
- Steaming, extraction
- Mechanical or thermal cake dehumidification
All process steps are performed within the filter’s segregated segment zones. This makes it possible to separately discharge the filtrates or other substances.
The rotary pressure filter is a fully encapsulated unit that can be integrated into production processes in a gas-tight manner. This means that the rotary pressure filter is also suitable for use in operating scenarios with increased safety or hygienic requirements.
The rotary pressure filter operates at a pressure of up to 7 bar (g) and within a temperature range of approx. -20° to approx. 160° Celsius. Pressure is generated hydraulically rather than pneumatically by means of gas stratification during all process steps. This enables individual optimization of each and every process step.
Each process step is sealed off into a segment zone by means of pressure-tight separation elements inside of the rotary pressure filter. The cake can be discharged to the surrounding area at atmospheric pressure.
The BHS Rotary Pressure Filter represents an improvement on the FEST filter described in the technical literature, which was invented by Dr. Fest at BHS in the 1950s.
Watch the video to learn more about the innovative CIP technology of the rotary pressure filter (RPF) developed specifically for the pharmaceutical and food industries.
The BHS rotary pressure filter is based on the principle of cake filtration and can meet the following operating criteria:
- Operating pressure up to 7 bar (g)
- Operating temperature up to 160°C
- Solids content (suspension) up to 60% (by weight)
- Cake thickness up to 175 mm
- Grain size 10 - 500 μm
- Filter output - suspension up to 15 m³/m² h
- Filter output - dry solids up to 15,000 kg/m² h
- Active filter surface 0.12 - 8.6 m²
- Continuous, fully automatic operation
- Self-contained, gas-tight operation
- Several successive process steps are possible
- Hydraulic pressure generation
- High process versatility
- Extensive application expertise
- Suitable for suspensions containing solvents
- Excellent workplace hygiene and safety