BioSolve Pinkwater is a well-known hydrocarbon mitigation agent: proven effective, safe and easy to use. BioSolve Pinkwater has been a trusted solution for hydrocarbon cleanup for over thirty years.
It is used worldwide by:
- industrial contractors
- oil production, refining and distribution companies
- environmental engineers and contractors
- water & power utilities
- fire departments & haz mat teams
Pinkwater and associated products are a highly specialized formulation of primarily non-ionic surfactants plus various performance additives. Pinkwater is formulated to provide four benefits:
1. Aggressively Removes Stubborn Hydrocarbons
The formulation of non-ionic surfactants in BioSolve products is strongly lipophilic or “oil-loving”. Pinkwater will first aggressively pull the hydrocarbons away from the contaminated surface (whether it be soil, stone, steel, cement or sand). The mobilized hydrocarbon is then emulsified within the Pinkwater solution, making it non-volatile, non-combustible, and miscible in water.
This dual functionality is of universal benefit in addressing hydrocarbon contamination:
- Hazardous vapors become non-volatile
- Residual NAPL is mobilized and solubilized
- Contaminating grease and sludge is removed
2. Safe and Easy to Use
Pinkwater is not a solvent, not a cutter stock, not even a foam. Pinkwater (concentrate) and Pinkwater solution are water-based. Working solutions are typically 94% to 98% water. This makes the product easy to mix, easy to handle, easy to apply.
3. Predictable Performance
Stable Formula. A major breakthrough of the Pinkwater formulation is that it holds otherwise incompatible ingredients together in a highly stable, water-based solution. An unopened container of Pinkwater has virtually an unlimited shelf life – at least 10 years based on customer testimonials.
Broadly Effective. Pinkwater works with fresh water or brackish water and works on a wide range of surfaces, including most soil types. It can be used on most liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons that are not water soluble. Effective performance does not depend on precise measuring and application.
Controllable Emulsion. The emulsion formed with Pinkwater and oil contaminants will remain stable in a two-phase aqueous solution. In time, most emulsions will “collapse.” For Pinkwater, that time frame can be measured in weeks or months, depending on field conditions. On the other hand, a stable emulsion can be 'broken' on demand by lowering the pH (for Pinkwater) or by using a commercial emulsion breaker (for Pinkwater or Activator). Breaking the Emulsion allows for the immediate recovery of free product in an oil-water separator. Please call The BioSolve Company for more information on breaking Pinkwater or Activator emulsions.
BioSolve Pinkwater contains no hazardous ingredients, as defined by:
- EPA’s Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Massachusetts Right to Know Law
- California Proposition 65
BioSolve products are TSCA Compliant (Toxic Substances Control Act)
BioSolve products are always shipped as a concentrate.
Our package sizes are: gallon cases (4 x 1 gallon jugs per case), 5 gallon pails, 55 gallon drums, and 250 gallon totes.
Product may be shipped as individual unit(s) or in pallet quantities.
- BioSolve PINKWATER, sold only as a concentrate, formulated with our signature magenta dye to enable traceability.
- BioSolve CLEAR, same concentration and performance as Pinkwater, without traceable magenta dye.
- BioSolve FOGwash Concentrate, formulated with no fragrance, for professional use in commercial & industrial kitchens.
BioSolve Pinkwater is sold only as a viscous (490 centipoise) concentrate. In most applications (except within sewer systems, bilges, oil wells), Pinkwater is diluted with water to create a working “Pinkwater solution”. The strength of typical working solutions range from 2% to 6% by volume.
To prepare a working Pinkwater solution, add approximately one third of required water to the mixing tank BEFORE pouring in Pinkwater concentrate. After adding the desired volume of Pinkwater into the tank, mix in the remaining water volume. Stir the combined contents to achieve a uniform solution.
BioSolve Pinkwater is used in three general markets: Soil Remediation, Industrial Maintenanceand Emergency Response (see the “Applications” section of this website). In all applications, users combine four elements to achieve emulsification of the hydrocarbon contaminate:
The method of agitation may take many forms: water jet, vacuum extraction, scrubbing, mixing, soil tilling, pumping, and others. Contractors use methods for agitation to fit the application and site conditions. In all applications, the addition of agitation (mechanical energy) is an essential requirement for hydrocarbon mitigation.
BioSolve Pinkwater is a proprietary blend of mostly non-ionic surfactants and performance additives. Pinkwater is only sold as a concentrate.
- Hydrocarbon are immiscible (won’t mix) in water. When combined, they quickly separate.
- Before agitation, Pinkwater solution and diesel will remain in separate phases
- After agitation, a stable “oil in water emulsion” is formed. In this form, the diesel will flow like water and can be easily removed from hard surfaces and extracted from the subsurface.
Pinkwater’s surfactant molecules are strongly attracted to both water and oil.
The surfactants in BioSolve Pinkwater are strongly ATTRACTED to BOTH oil and water! This MUTUAL attraction allows oil and water to mix!
The molecule head seeks full contact with water; the tail seeks full contact with the hydrocarbon.
In the presence of agitation, these opposing attractions disaggregate massive hydrocarbon globules into microscopic droplets and cover them in a thin layer of surfactant and water.
These water/surfactant encapsulated hydrocarbon droplets are called MICELLES.
Aqueous encapsulation of hydrocarbons provides three key benefits for remediation. 1. Reduced Volatility
- Makes fuel spills non-flammable
- Suppresses VOC emissions at remediation sites
- Reduces LELs during tank cleaning
- Controls organic odors at excavation sites, water treatment plants and more
2. Increased Solubility
- Enables extraction of hydrocarbons from the soil
- Removes spills from roadways with no slick spots
- Efficiently removes oil and grease from hard surfaces
- Controls paraffin build-up in oil wells
3. Improved Bioavailability
- Accelerates natural biodegradation processes
Pinkwater is Very Effective
- Diesel Fuel
- Heating Oil
- Jet Fuel/Kerosene
- Light crude oil
- Natural Gas Condensate
- Light oils
- Mineral Spirits
- Hydraulic Fluid
- and others…
Pinkwater Works with Extra Effort*
- Motor oils
- #4 - #6 Heating Oil
- Medium to Heavy Crude
- Palm Oil, Corn Oil
- Linseed Oil
- Bitumen (tar)
- Other heavy, viscous or weathered products
Pinkwater Will NOT Work
- Lower alcohols (Methanol, ethanol, isopropyl alcohol)
- Most acids and alkalis
- Ammonia and ammonia compounds
- Nitrates, sulfates
- Ethylene glycol
- Other water soluble products