The 500 is used for calibration and verification of:
- Mass flow meters
- Variable area flow meters
- Precision in-situ calibration of industrial flow meters and controllers
The 500 is ideal for owners and users of many instruments (more than 25) that require calibration/verification one or more times a year and want to avoid the cost and downtime delay of sending instruments out to get calibrated. For accuracy surpassing the 500, review the industry-best accuracy of the CalTrak 800.
All of our CalTrak models contain a nearly frictionless graphite piston that moves freely inside a borosilicate glass tube. When the parallel bypass valve is closed, the gas flow is directed into the tube to push the piston up. Two photo-optic sensors detect the piston as it travels past.
The distance the piston travels between the two sensors is precisely defined and represents a known volume. Accurate crystal-based timers drive a microprocessor which calculates the rate of rise. This defines the volumetric flow rate. At the same time, extremely accurate temperature and absolute pressure sensors collect data used to calculate the mass flow rate.
- The performance of only the highest level metrology laboratories can now be yours
- Accurate primary standard for labs & industry
- Proven dimensionally-based primary standard accuracy backed by a rigorous uncertainty analysis
- Manufactured to ISO 17025 Standards at a NVLAP accredited lab
- Collected data is directly traceable to NIST
- Surpasses pressure-based secondary methods
- Everything you need to do your own flow calibration
- Less expensive than most popular secondary standards
- Field portable and battery powered
- Suitable for most non-corrosive gases
- Accurate and reliable gas flow readings independent of gas species measured
- Reading options: Single, continuous or burst, with user-selectable averaging from 1 to 100
- Run automatically in continuous mode or operate manually (one flow reading at a time)
- Take up to up to 100 measurements in an average continuous mode sequence
- Easy to use, large LCD readout screen and 23-button keypad
- Generates calibration certificate easily
- Communicate via RS-232, USB, and use free CalSoft® software included
- CalSoft® software automatically acquires flow data for easy data export
- Kit consists of a base and three interchangeable flow cells
- Entire kit is packaged in a Pelican case for safe transport
- Each flow cell has a specific flow range
- Each flow cell is easily changed (no tools needed) within seconds
- Flow cells can be purchased separately; Get started with one, add more later
- Cover a broad set of instrument flow ranges at your facility
- No Mercury or other hazardous materials
- Low maintenance
- All clean gases, non-corrosive, humidity less than 70% non-condensing
- Mass and volumetric flow rate
- Speed from 1 to 15 sec per flow reading
- Accuracy by flow cell range:
- 500-10: 5 sccm to 500 sccm (0.5 slpm)*
- Volumetric: ±0.25% of reading
- Mass: up to ± 0.35% of reading*
- 500-24: 50 sccm to 5000 sccm (5.0 slpm)*
- Volumetric: ±0.20% of reading
- Mass: ± 0.35% of reading*
- 500-44: 0.5 slpm to 50 slpm*
- Volumetric: ±0.25% of reading
- Mass: ± 0.45% of reading*
- 500-10: 5 sccm to 500 sccm (0.5 slpm)*
- For lower flows, see the CalTrak 800 flows down to 0.5 sccm*
- For higher flows, see CalTrak XL flows up to 1500 slpm*
- Flow mode: Pressure or suction
- Operating temperature:
- Volume: 5°C to 40°C (41°F to 104°F)
- Mass: 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 81°F)
- Ambient temperature:
- 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F)
- Operating pressure:
- 15 psia (1.03 barA)
- AC power adapter/charger:
- 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz
- 12V DC, >500ma, 2.5 mm, center positive,
North American standard, others available
- Internal continuously chargeable sealed lead-acid battery
- 6-volt lead acid battery
- Operational time (5 cycles/min)
- Height: 13.5 inches (340 mm)
- Width: 5.25 inches (135 mm)
- Depth: 11 inches (280 mm)
- Base: 43.5 oz (1233 g)
- Cells: 85.1 oz (2412.5 g) to 88.4 oz (2507 g) flow cell dependent
- CE approved
- RoHS compliant
- Digital communications: RS232 / USB Port
*Note: At gas pressure of 760 mmHg, (1 atm ) and gas temperature of 77°F (25°C) with standardization temperature set to 32°F (0°C)
Sierra Instruments, Inc. presents a new line of portable, low-maintenance, primary standard gas flow calibrators— the Cal=Trak SL-500 and Cal=Trak SL-800. The Cal=Trak SL-500 offers an excellent accuracy of ±0.35% of reading while the Cal=Trak SL-800 offers the best accuracy of any commercially available standard: ±0.15% of reading! The accuracy of the highest level metrology laboratories worldwide can now be a part of your lab, workshop or production floor when you do-it-yourself with Cal=Trak.
Primary standards are characterized by the most basic of quantities (i.e. time and distance) unlike transfer or secondary standards, such as laminar flow elements. Primary standards can be verified by every national laboratory by checking these basic quantities. This guarantees that the main objective of any calibration is met: reliable, accurate measurements.
Sierra’s Cal=Trak models contain a nearly frictionless graphite piston that moves freely inside a borosilicate glass tube. When the parallel bypass valve is closed, the gas flow is directed into the tube to push the piston up.
Two photo-optic sensors detect the piston as it travels past. The distance the piston travels between the two sensors is precisely defined and represents a known volume. Accurate crystal-based timers drive a micro-processor which calculates the rate of rise. This defines the volumetric flow rate.
At the same time, extremely accurate temperature and absolute pressure sensors collect data used to calculate the mass flow rate.
The Cal=Trak Models consist of a base with interchangeable flow cells. Each cell has a specific range. Cells can be easily changed (No tools needed) within seconds and can be purchased separately. Cells for the model SL-800 may be used only with the SL-800 base. Cells for the model SL-500 may be used only with the SL-500 base.
Flow Ranges and Single-Reading Accuracy
- Suitable gases: Non corrosive, humidity less than 70%, non-condensing
- Time per reading: Approximately 1-60 Sec (Flow dependent)
- Operating modes: Single cycle, continuous cycling (averaging) or 1 to 255 second intervals
- Battery system: Internal continuously chargeable sealed lead-acid battery
- AC Charger/Adapter: 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz
- Self test: Leakage & dynamic functional verification
- Outputs: Back-lit LCD display, RS232 serial port with software, parallel printer port (for dedicated printer)
- Weight: SL-800: 4.5 Kg (10 lb.s), SL-500: 3.5 Kg (7.8 lb.s)
- Warranty: Product, 1 year
Not only is Cal=Trak accurate and reliable, you will be pleasantly surprised by its simple operation. The Calibrator provides the user accurate flow readings with the push of a button. The LCD display indicates the volumetric rate, average flow rate, standardized flow rate, atmospheric pressure and battery status. Using the keyboard and back-lit LCD display, you can set variables like: reference conditions, K-factors for different gases, operating mode, self-check features and many more to meet changing requirements. With the RS232 output, a Calibration Certificate can be created by exporting data to a computer template or by using the optional printer.
Cal=Trak is safe. It does not contain any hazardous materials like mercury, commonly found in previous generations of primary gas flow calibrators. In addition, there is no mess common with soap-bubble devices.
Cal=Trak is portable. You can set Cal=Trak up in minutes almost anywhere due to its compact size, light weight and battery power. A custom, impact-resistant case is available as an accessory to store and protect the calibrator during transport or periods of non-use.
Cal=Trak is reliable. Sierra’s Cal=Trak line provides primary NIST traceability, is manufactured under strict ISO 17025 certification (NVLAP accreditation), and is CE approved. Due to the simplicity of Cal=Trak, you can depend on this calibrator to do exactly what you need—measure gas flow accurately, quickly and reliably.
PEL-1550: Case with foam insert. Fits one SL-500 base, one cell and accessories.
PEL-1620: Case with foam insert. Fits one SL-500 base, up to 3 cells and accessories.
PEL-1600: Case with foam insert. Fits one SL-800 base, one cell and accessories.
PEL-1650: Case with foam insert. Fits one SL-800 base, up to 3 cells and accessories.
Mass Flow Controllers
Sierra’s popular Smart-Trak 100 Series Mass Flow Controllers are ideal for generating and maintaining a constant flow of gas so that any type of flow meter can easily be calibrated. Special versions of the Smart-Trak are available to cover the range of each Cal=Trak flow cell. With the built-in display and controls, Smart-Trak is a complete gas flow generation system.
A re-chargeable battery operated Thermal 4” printer can be connected to the printer port of the SL-500 or SL-800. Includes: printer cable, battery charger and printer paper. (Additional paper: 6 rolls part No TP-2-6)
Software to download calibration data from the Cal=Trak into familiar spread sheet programs is included free with each calibrator. Additional software to simplify calibration will become available soon.