ChitoRem - Chitin Complex Inherent Buffering Agent
Long-lasting, inherent buffering agent perfect for excavations and acid mine drainage. Long-Lasting: Provides both a fast and slow release carbon source and nutrients.
Inherent Buffering Agent
- Contains calcium carbonate which serves as a natural buffering agent for low pH applications.
Niche Application for Acid Mine Drainage
- Halogenated aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons such as PCE
- Oxidizers such as perchlorate
- Explosive and ordnance compounds such as RDX
- Reduction of metals, such as arsenic, chromium, uranium, and manganese.
- Open excavation backfill
- Source treatment
- Permeable reactive barriers
- Bioreactor treatment
- Constructed wetlands
- Direct push methods
- Hydraulic fracturing
CHITOREM has been used successfully at PCE sites with low pH aquifers.
At a field site with pH in the range of 4 -5.5, addition of CHITOREM to the open excavation resulted in contaminant concentrations below MCLs in less than two years.
- Chitin (wt/wt): 10-30%
- Proteins (wt/wt): 5-50%
- Minerals (wt/wt): 20-60%
- Water (wt/wt): 10-20%
- pH: 7 ± 1.0
- Solubility in water: non-soluble to slowly soluble
- Particle size: standard particle size is less than ¼ inch. Particles can be ground to order; please allow for 4 weeks after receipt of PO for special orders
- Store unopened under dry conditions at temperatures between 35°F and 85°F.
- Shelf life of unopened product is 2 years
- If kept dry, opened product can be stored for 1 year
- Equipment decontamination should follow site specific requirements. In most situations, any product residual should be flushed into the aquifer and then chased with clean water.
- 2-3 weeks lead time required past receipt of a PO
- 1,000 - 1,600 lbs
- 2-3 weeks lead time required past receipt of PO