Colilert - Coliform and E. Coli Testing
Coliform/E. coli Results in 24 Hours. IDEXX Colilert reagent is used around the world for the detection of coliforms and E.coli in water. Colilert, with its patented Defined Substrate Technology (DST), is used in over 90% of all US State labs. Colilert is, in fact, used more than all other methods combined (US, Canada and Japan drinking water markets). Colilert is US EPA-approved and is included in Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Wastewater.
Sample size format: 10 mL, 50 mL, 100 mL, and 250 mL
Time to results: 24 hours
Shelf life: 50 mL and 100 mL formats: up to 12 months at 2-30°C;
10 mL and 250 mL formats: up to 15 months at 2-25°C
Read: Sample turns yellow when coliforms are present and fluoresces to indicate the presence of E. coli
Uses: Presence/absence or quantification using IDEXX Quanti-Tray, Quanti-Tray/2000 or multiple tube Most Probable Number (MPN) testing
- US EPA-approved, 24-hour test for drinking and source waters.
- International approvals include US EPA, Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Wastewater, AOAC, IBWA, and EBWA.
- Millions of tests are run worldwide every year.
- Ease of use simplifies training.
- Unit-dosed packaging eliminates media preparation.
- No repeat testing due to clogged filters or heterotrophic interference.
- Quality Control (QC) procedure can be done in 15 minutes.
- Under one minute hands-on time.
- Detects coliforms and E. coli simultaneously in 24 hours or less.
- No confirmations needed.
- No glassware cleaning or colony counting.
- Identifies E. coli specifically, which eliminates unneeded public notification due to Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Suppresses up to 2 million heterotrophs per 100 mL.
- Eliminates the subjective interpretation found in traditional methods.
- Detects a single viable coliform or E. coli per sample.
- 20 to 50% less expensive than traditional methods. (According to AWWARF Research Application #4).
- 95% lower equipment costs.
- Minimizes evening and weekend work.
- Up to 12-month shelf life at room temperature.
- A Colilert Snap Pack can be used for presence/absence (P/A) or quantification testing.
- Quanti-Tray provides counts to 200/100 mL without dilutions.
- Quanti-Tray/2000 provides counts to 2,419/100 mL without dilutions.
- Colilert is also available predispensed in 10 mL Most Probable Number (MPN) tubes.