Dart - Hand-Portable Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Logging System
Dart packs the power of magnetic resonance logging into a highly portable, battery-powered system operable by a single user. With Dart, any small-diameter bore—no matter how remote—becomes an opportunity for a high-resolution hydrogeologic log. Dart is the world’s first and only hand-portable NMR logging tool, enabling single-person manual deployment to remote or environmentally sensitive locations, and eliminating the need for a multi-person crew or vehicle. Dart runs on batteries that last up to a full day of logging. A single user can transport and operate a Dart system, even in rough or challenging terrain.
This rugged and highly portable product functions as a complete, field capable NMR spectrometer. The Dart control unit provides power, wideband RF power amplification, NMR pulse sequence generation and synchronous low-noise NMR signal data acquisition, all in one environmentally-sealed enclosure. This unit interfaces with a Windows field tablet or laptop via a single USB connection, enabling NMR measurements to be acquired and analyzed in real time in the field.
The Dart NMR logging probe features high performance NMR measurement capabilities, making it ideal for measuring water content in near surface soils and sediments:
- A very short echo spacing (< 500 us) for the most accurate measurement of water content in unsaturated soils and sediments,
- High vertical resolution (~9 inches/23 cm) for high resolution site characterization
- Simultaneous measurement in two separate cylindrical sensitive zones with diameters of 5 inches (12.5 cm) and 6 inches (15 cm). These sensitive zone diameters are ideal for logging small diameter core holes, auger holes, or 2 inch (50mm) PVC-cased wells installed by direct push or small diameter sonic drilling
- Dart operates at frequencies between 420 kHz and 480 kHz, avoiding large radio frequency interference in the worldwide AM broadcast band (530 – 1610 kHz)
- Environmental Site Characterization
- Environmental Monitoring
- Shallow Groundwater Resources
A number of the features included in Dart are patented as follows:: US 10,302,733, 10,113,982 B2; US 10,162,026 B2; US 10,302,733 B2; US 9,348,054 B2; US 9,588,068 B2US 8,816,684 B2; US 8,736,264 B2
* Available with advanced diffusion measurement software for characterization of hydrocarbon contaminants
Dart enables efficient and highresolution NMR logging in small-diameter borings either open or PVC-cased.
Dart Applications Include:
- Moisture Logging & Monitoring
- Vadose Zone Characterization
- Environmental Site Assessment
- Geotechnical Investigations
- Hydrocarbon Contamination
- Permafrost Studies
- Soil Compaction Analysis
Dart yields a highresolution log of hydrogeologic properties, including porosity, clay-bound/capillary-bound/ free water content, pore size distribution, and hydraulic conductivity. Above the water table, Dart provides direct measurement of moisture content
With Dart, NMR logging becomes a single-person operation and any smalldiameter boring becomes an opportunity for a high-resolution hydrogeologic log.
Dart is the world’s first hand-portable NMR logging tool, enabling backpack deployment to remote or environmentally sensitive locations, and eliminating the need for a multi-person crew or vehicle.
High Detail Resolution
Dart has an even higher vertical resolution than the Javelin, making it ideal for fine bed characterization. Dart also has a very short echo spacing ideal for measuring moisture content in unsaturated systems.
Sensitivity without Disturbance
Drilling or extracting samples can alter their hydrogeologic properties. Dart measures beyond the drilled zone in a shell located more than two inches away from tool surface. For most direct-push, hand-augered or diamond-core holes, Dart data reflects the properties of the undisturbed formation.
- NMR Frequency: 410 - 480 kHz
- Min. Echo Spacing: 400 μs
- Vertical Resolution: 9in (23cm)
- Sensitive Diameter: 5 - 6in (12 - 15cm)
- Probe Diameter: 1.75in (44mm)
- Probe Weight: 10lb (4.5kg)
- Probe Length: 62in (157cm)
- Control Unit Weight: 17lb (7.7kg)
- Interface: PC USB
- Battery: 24V