Dürr Megtec - Distillation and Purification Systems
Dürr Megtec designs, builds and installs distillation equipment to separate water and solvents, and solvents from each other. Depending on the purity levels required, our adsorption systems and solvent distillation equipment can be used in continuous or batch processes, as well as vacuum, atmospheric or pressure.
Water-soluble solvents and multiple-solvent mixtures may need to be separated from the water and/or separated into their individual components prior to reuse. Dürr Megtec offers complete extractive and azeotropic multicomponent distillation systems for the separation and purification of solvent mixtures.
Depending on customer and process requirements, our systems can be designed for either continuous or batch operations.
These systems are suitable to:
- Treat the effluent from a regenerable carbon adsorption solvent recovery system
- Separate solvent mixtures into individual solvents in chemical, pharmaceutical, and other specialty industries to make them suitable for recycle, and reuse
- Remove solvent contaminants from wastewater to make the water suitable for disposal, saving hazardous waste disposal costs or surcharge costs
- Designs are based on long-term experience and expertise
- 3D design to maximize operability and maintainability
- Distillation column internals are optimized for the specific application (random packing, structured packing, floating and fixed valve trays)
- Heat recovery to minimize operating costs
- Pre-assembly on skids to minimize installation time and cost
In applications where the decanted water phase contains solvent levels that cannot be sent directly to drain or existing water treatment facilities, we provide a steam or air stripping column for solvent removal prior to discharge.
In steam stripping, steam is admitted at the base of the column. As the contaminated feed water flows downward, solvents concentrate in the top of the column and are removed overhead in a condenser. The product then may be sent to storage or returned to the decanter.
In an air stripping operation, air is passed through the column counter-current to the flow of liquid. Solvent transfers to the air stream, which may be returned to the inlet of the carbon adsorption unit, and purified water suitable for disposal is discharged.
Typical Processes for reuse of recovered solvents:
- Semiconductor and electronics
- Membrane production
- Soil vapor extraction and groundwater remediation
- Foam production
- Rubber-coated fabric production
- Paper, film and foil coating
- Publication and packaging gravure printing
Meet your exact requirements and space constraints. Dürr Megtec solvent recovery systems are available in a wide range of flows and configurations to meet your system requirements and space constraints. Custom designed units handle flows from 500 cubic feet per minute (CFM) to 1,000,000 CFM.
Turnkey, pre-assembled skid-mounted or field-erected systems
Dürr Megtec designs and builds completely pre-assembled skid-mounted systems for installation in sizes up to 20,000 CFM. We also design, build, install, and commission larger systems on a total turnkey basis. Our experience includes the design and installation of solvent-laden air collection duct systems, as well as solvent storage tank farms and utility generation equipment, such as boilers, cooling water systems, etc.
Materials of construction
Dürr Megtec fabricates its adsorption and distillation systems with materials of construction selected to meet specific application requirements. Options include carbon steel, stainless steel (304, 316, 2205, AL6XN), Hastelloy, titanium and other commercially available alloys.