Dyacon - Model WSD-1 - Wind Speed and Direction Sensors (Modbus)
WSD‑1™ combines wind speed and direction sensors into a rugged package. Digital sensor data are delivered using the Modbus RTU industrial protocol, which allows for long cable runs to computers, programmable logic controllers (PLCs), and some data loggers.
WSD‑1™ combines both wind speed and wind direction in a digital, smart wind sensor. Rugged, machined aluminum construction can handle extreme abuse.
WSD‑1 is a standard component of Dyacon MS‑100 series weather stations.
As a native Modbus sensor, WSD‑1 is ideally suited for industrial applications and can be connected directly to PLCs, SCADA equipment, and DCS to directly add environmental data for other automation and logging applications.
Like all Dyacon equipment, WSD-1 is made in the USA.
- Wind speed (3 s, 2 min avg, and 10 min avg)
- Wind direction (3 s, 2 min avg, and 10 min avg)
- Real-time gust detection
- Anodized aluminum
- Stainless steel bearings
- No-contact wind vane direction sensor
- No direction dead spots
- Modbus RTU
- Low-power operation
- Durable construction
WSD-1 is made in the USA from 6061 machined aluminum. The standard product is gold anodized. Anemometer cups are UV-stabilized polycarbonate.
Several sun-fast colors are available to value-added resellers, including colorless, electroless black, blue, and red. All movement uses Dyacon ceramic hybrid bearings with synthetic lubricant for long-life operation. Fiberglass vane stem withstands harsh treatment. Vane and anemometer components and are user replaceable without disassembly.
Slim mechanical construction minimizes snow accumulation.
The wind direction sensor utilizes a no-contact sensor for high reliability, high accuracy, and, unlike potentiometer sensors, has NO dead spots.
The unique mounting tube can be fitted over standard 3/4” conduit, such as that used for antenna towers, or used with standard 1” structural pipe fittings.
The anemometer is a 3-cup mechanism utilizing Dyacon ceramic hybrid bearings.
Power and data is provided through a 4-wire connection. Wind Sensor WSD-1 uses a Modbus slave interface.
- Range: 0 to 50 m/s (0 mph to 112 mph)
- Test Range: 0 m/s to 60 m/s (134 mph)
- Starting Threshold:
- Resolution: 0.1 m/s (0.2mph)
- Operational Range Accuracy: Greater of +/-3% or +/- 0.3 m/s
- Distance Constant: 2.1 m (6.7 ft)
- Range: 0° to 359° , No Dead Spots
- Starting Threshold: 1 m/s
- Accuracy: +/- 1°
- Resolution: 0.1°
- Operating Temperature: -40°C to 60°C
- Storage Temperature: -40°C to 80°C
- Operating Humidity: 0 to 100%
- Power Input: 5 VDC to 24 VDC
- Current: < 2 mAavg at 12 VDC
- Materials: 6061 aluminum, UV-Stabilized PC (Cups only), Filament wound fiberglass.
- Bearings: Hybrid ceramic/stainless steel
- Overall (WxDxH): 15.2 x 32 x 25.5 cm (6 x 12.5 x 10 in)
- Cable: 4 conductor (24 AWG, stranded), foil Shield w/ drain wire, outdoor rated.
- Weight w/ Cable: 675 g (23.8 oz)
- Weight w/o Cable: 500 g (17.6 oz)
- OEM Options: Custom anodizing color (red, black, blue, or clear).
- Protocols: Modbus
- Minimum Request Period: 20 ms
- OEM Options: Custom Packet structure and competing device emulation.