econ PyroPlas - Plasma Arc Destruction Process for Toxic Wastes like POP, ODS, SGG, PFAS and More
PyroPlas is a Plasma Arc Destruction process, which destroys any organic compound via high temperature pyrolysis. The intense, flameless conditions degrade all molecules into their atomic constituents. PyroPlas incorporates the Pyrolnject Waste injection system. This is an enhanced 'in flight' injection technique where wastes are optimally injected into the plasma stream. This feature ensures the PyroPlas is always able to meet required Destruction Removal Efficiencies (DRE) greater than 99.99.%. A DRE of 99.9999% is commonly achieved.
- Lower emissions compared to other technologies and better than international standards
- The PyroPlas can be shut down, re-started and run in less than half an hour
- The formation of undesirable organic molecules such as dioxins and furans are avoided
- Low capital cost compared to other technologies
- Plant is compact and servicing is simple, clean and inexpensive
- Higher temperatures
- Offers extremely safe operation
- Elements of PyroPlas
- Feeding System
- Pyrolnject Injection Manifold
- Rapid Quench
- Off-gas treatment
- Control Unit
Argon Plasma at 12(500°C is created by a 150kW non-transferred DC arc within a vortex stabilised multi-segment plasma torch. This design provides a reliable plasma torch with a long operating life.
Waste, as a liquid or gas, is injected into the plasma along with any reactants (such as steam or oxygen) that are required. The wastes and reactants are instantaneously pyrolyzed into their constituent atoms, resulting in a gas at over 2,500°C.
Passing through the reaction zone, the pyrolysis gas cools to around 1,200°C, allowing the formation of simple molecules such as HCI, CO2 and H2O. The gas is then rapidly quenched to below 100°C which prevents the reformation of any complex molecules such as Dioxins or Furans.
The gas then passes through a series of scrubbing processes where the acidic vapours and any other contaminants are removed, before finally being discharged to the atmosphere. The level of contaminants in the emitted off-gas is extremely low, and well under the standards applied to such emissions around the globe. Additionally, as there is no combustion process, the volume of discharged gas is substantially lower than most competing technologies, allowing the plant to be located in close proximity to residential areas.
Caustic for neutralisation of the reaction products, cooling water, air and process reactants are required for the operation of the plant. Typically, the reaction products, once neutralised, can be disposed of to the sewer as inert salts.
The plant is operated and controlled from a control room via a computer interface. All important operating parameters such as plasma power, operating temperatures, flowrates, pressures etc are continuously recorded and displayed. The plant can be operated in Automatic mode, with manual operations of individual devices also provided from the computer. The control system includes all necessary power, measurement and electrical devices, as well as safety interlocking and emergency stops.
- PyroPlas technology utilises pyrolysis to degrade wastes to its atomic constituents. There is no combustion process involved. The PyroPlas torch passes a high energy direct current into an argon gas
- stream which creates a plasma zone. This high energy plasma zone reaches a temperature in excess of 10,000°C. Waste is injected into this plasma zone where the waste is pyrolysed into its
- constituent atoms.
- For this reason, the PyroPlas technology destroys high concentration, pure and complex waste streams with minimal risk of hazardous by-product (such as dioxins or furans) formation.
- Due to the continuous injection of waste directly into the plasma zone, the process is inherently protected against any chance of environmental release, even in the case of situations such as power
- Designed to operate continuously and with a high level of automation, the PyroPlas delivers safe and consistent destruction efficiencies.
- With this quality of destruction and simple consistent operation, the PyroPlas meets the standards of Best Available Techniques (BAT) and Best Environmental Practise as required by the Stockholm
- Convention, Montreal Protocol and Basel Convention for the destruction of Persistent Organic Pollutant (POPs) and Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs).
PyroPlas incorporates an 'in flight' injection technique where wastes are injected directly into the plasma stream. This unique feature allows PyroPlas to demonstrate high destruction removal efficiencies (DRE) often greater than 99.999%.
The compact standalone design of PyroPlas allows for flexibility in siting and opportunities to deliver both onsite and centralised operation. Carefully designed to destroy concentrated hazardous wastes, PyroPlas incorporates a rapid quench system that negates the formation of undesirable destruction by-products like dioxins and furans.
- Ozone depleting substances
- Methyl Bromide
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- Bromochlorofluorocarbons (BCFCs)
- Synthetic greenhouse gases
- Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6)
- Persistent Organic Pollutants
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Organochlorine Pesticides (OCPs) like Lindane anc Dieldrin
- Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)
- Aqueous Film Forming Foams (AFFF) - which contain Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
- Chemical Industry
- ideal destruction option for chemical manufacturing industry (i.e. manufacture of pesticides and semiconductors) to destroy process by-products on site safely while maintaining highest environmental standards.
- ideal for the destruction of redundant refrigerants in accordance with international standards.
- Waste Management
- ideal for the destruction of highly hazardous waste streams like PCBs, OCPs and PFAS.
- Site Remediation
- ideal for ex or in situ destruction of organic contaminants like PCBs, OCPs, PFAS and Dioxins
Discreet - Targeted - Qualitative - Permanent
We are excited to announce the availability of our turn-key package system for the management of legacy waste with minimal impact on surrounding activities and the environment. The plant was specifically designed to provide a solution to wastes impacted with per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) but is suitable to treat other Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP) effectively and efficiently
VacuPlas utilises two of our existing technologies combining:
- Vacuum distillation for targeted intensification of PFAS, and
- Plasma arc destruction for qualitative destruction.