Eijkelkamp - Model 04.09 - Stainless Steel Peat Sampler, Set to a Depth of 10 m
The stainless steel peat sampler is in fact a kind of gouge auger. The peat sampler is pushed into the soil manually. The sample containing part is a half cylinder. The peat sampler distinguishes itself from the standard gouge auger as its cone is massive. The sample containing section is sealed off by a plate (fin) that can pivot around the axle in the middle of the sampler and that is fitted with a cutting edge on one side. Having arrived at the correct sampling depth the complete sampler is given half a turn clockwise (180°). During the turning the fin remains in position which allows the half cylinder to be filled and closed again. The half circular sample cylinder is kept closed by the other side of the fin during extraction.
- Samples saturated AND unsaturated material
- Stainless steel sample body for all analyses
- Simple gouge-with-flap principle
- No loss of sediment by large closing flap
- Effective to sample young peat and sediment
- Takes point samples at any depth (if soft)
- Anyone can operate
- Thick point limits penetration in stiff material
- Water plant roots will be pushed aside
The peat sampler is only suitable in flabby and very soft soils. To achieve maximum stability the connections between the T-handle, the extension rods and the bottom part have been executed as conic threaded connections.
The standard set consists of: a T-handle with extension rods, an Edelman auger, a peat sampler, a push-/pull handle, tools, maintenance kit and a fibre glass utility probe. The whole is kept in a sturdy aluminum transport case.
The peat sampler enables to take undisturbed samples from soft soils at predetermined depths on behalf of:
- Environmental studies.
- Visual interpretation of a soil layer.
- Soft sediment sampling.
- Palaeontological research.
- Soil profile description and classification
- Soil sampling above groundwater table
- Soil sampling below groundwater table
- Environmental soil research
- Sediment sampling