An explanation of the NPDES program is as follows:
Water pollution degrades surface waters making them unsafe for drinking, fishing, swimming, and other activities. As authorized by the Clean Water Act, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program controls water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants into waters of the United States. Point sources are discrete conveyances such as pipes or man-made ditches. Individual homes that are connected to a municipal system, use a septic system, or do not have a surface discharge do not need an NPDES permit; however, industrial, municipal, and other facilities must obtain permits if their discharges go directly to surface waters. In most cases, the NPDES permit program is administered by authorized states. Since its introduction in 1972, the NPDES permit program is responsible for significant improvements to our Nation’s water quality.
The EISC DMR System provides the lab with the ability to create, manage, and generate DMR reports, from any Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), and to transfer DMR reports to clients for inclusion of flow rate data and submission to the authorized states. In addition, the EISC DMR system allows the laboratory to create and manage DMR permitting requirements for each location, DMR Reports specified by monitoring agencies, capabilities and calculations (such as waste load allocations, daily averages, statistical calculations), and analytical review for rapid detection of out of criteria occurrences based on permitting requirements.
Summary of EISC DMR System
- Creation, modification, and management of all DMR permitting and reporting requirements.
- The ability to query data from the LIMS by COC ID/Workorder, Date Range, Sample ID, Location and batch to review items of interest at any time during the Daily, Monthly, and Quarterly Period so any out of occurrence issues can be addressed immediately.
- Ability to create, modify, and manage all DMR parameter lists.
- Ability to establish default values to be automatically generated to the DMR reports
- Ability to save final DMR reports and transferred to the NPDES site for additional flow rate inclusion.
- Ability to have the laboratory self-define, edit, manage review criteria for DMR results.
Benefits of EISC DMR System
- Ensures Data Quality of Analytical Results that are processed by the lab and transferred to the DMR reports.
- Seamlessly integrate analytical data between the LIMS and the DMR requirements and reporting.
- Eliminates all manual and duplicate entry of analytical results.
- All items of the EISC DMR System is managed by the lab.
NPDES Market Benefits to the Lab
- NPDES market is very large
- NPDES program is a consistent workflow due to the required daily, monthly, and quarterly monitoring.
- Proper NPDES program management can provide residual income for the laboratory because NPDES sites request one, five, and ten year submissions of analytical results.
- Proper NPDES program management can provide residual income for the laboratory due to the consistent request of data by location for additional studies.
- Captive client because the lab is providing a major solution to a very time consuming process for the NPDES site.