The Extran Ultrafiltration System is a proven and dependable filtration system designed to clean contaminated parts washwater for re-use and to filter oily wastewater for discharge. This system continuously removes oil and particulate from the process fluid and returns the purified solution for re-use. This is done through a series of filters and coalesces followed by Separation Dynamics’ proprietary cellulose water ultrafiltration membrane, which separates the emulsified oils from the process fluid. When applied to an industrial parts washer, the system can significantly improve the washing process by recycling washwater and extending the life of your cleaning solution
The Secret to our Ultrafiltration System is in our Innovative Water Ultrafiltration Membrane
The Ultrafiltration system, is based on our innovative cellulose membrane technology called Extran, which was originally developed by Johnson & Johnson for kidney dialysis. This patented water Ultrafiltration membrane efficiently removes emulsified oils from process solutions, without fouling, and returns water and soluble cleaners, for reuse or discharge to the sewer.
The Extran ultrafiltration membrane is a hollow fiber type membrane made of the most hydrophilic industrial membrane material available today, regenerated curprammonium cellulose. Pure cellulose, as a membrane, is extremely versatile. The material is resistant to most organic solvents and has the unique characteristic that oils and hydrocarbons will not foul the membrane or stick to its surface. The membrane is temperature resistant up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit and can be used in pH ranges 2 – 11.5.
Save Money with our Extran System by Recycling Washwater
Unlike many conventional Ultrafiltration membranes, Extran has no definable surface pores to pass permeate and therefore does not require cleaning to offset pore plugging; instead, it works by a solution diffusion mechanism. Due to the naturally hydrophilic nature of the cellulose, water is highly attracted to the membrane material, and will diffuse into and through it. Water and water-soluble constituents diffuse through the membrane as permeate while insoluble oils and hydrocarbons are naturally rejected by the smooth cellulose surface, making it ideal for recycling washwater.
The Extran membrane module consists of thousands of hollow cellulose fibers contained in a CPVC housing. The individual fibers have an inside diameter of 400 microns and a wall thickness of about 40 microns. Contaminated feedwater is pre-filtered, then circulated through the lumens of the fibers and the purified water diffuses through the walls, while insoluble contaminants (including emulsified oils) are rejected by the membrane and thus exits the fibers. The filtered water (permeate) can then be recycled for re-use, further treated with other technologies or discharged to the sewer depending on the application. Materials that are highly water-soluble, such as alcohols, pH builders in detergents, and many surfactants, readily pass through the membrane with the filtered permeate.
A variety of sizes to meet your needs
- Height: 54' to 84”
- Footprint: 30” x 40” to 48” x 60”
- Weight: 420 lbs. to 1800 lbs
- Tank: 35-180 gallon stainless steel weir tank with electric heater element
- Base: Mild steel skid with 4-inch soft ride casters and non-marking rubber wheels
- Feed Pump: Air operated diaphragm pump or centrifugal pump
- Membrane module operating limits: 32F – 170F pH 2.5 – 11.5
- Feed pump - automatically draws fluid from the process, as needed.
- Feed filter - for removing large particles from the solution.
- Coalescing tank - stainless tank that incorporates coalescing media, baffles and weirs to enhance the concentration and removal of contaminants.
- Process pump - continuously re-circulates fluid through the filters.
- Process filter - removes fine particulate from the concentrated solution
- Extran membrane module - separates oil and contaminants from solution
- Waste tank - collects concentrated waste for disposal.
- Automated controls - automated valves, level switches and microprocessor
- Ancillary components - valves, hoses and gauges. Stainless steel is standard.
- Flexible plumbing - feeds and returns filtered solution to the process
- Industrial Parts Washers
- Heat Treating Wash Tanks
- Mop Water & Floor Scrubbers
- PrePaint & Phosphate Lines
- Pressure Washing
- Combined Wastewater