FlavourSpec - Liquid and Solid Samples Analysis Instrument
FlavourSpec is the ideal instrument for the analysis of the headspace of liquid and solid samples. The simplicity of use and ability to handle multiple samples in automation make the FlavourSpec an innovative and trend setting
It is ideal for applications in solving analytical questions in the food and beverage industry, such as:
- Control of storage conditions and packing materials
- Food freshness
- Control and optimisation of production processes
- Flavour evaluation and stability
- Test and authentication of raw materials and/or products etc.
The instrument configuration consists of a GC column coupled to an IMS detector to allow fast and enhanced selectivity of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in the headspace of solid and liquid samples.
- Speed of analysis, with typical analysis lasting 3-7 minutes.
- Operates at atmospheric pressure and without a need for Helium.
- The automatic headspace injector allows the fully automatic handling of multiple samples, including sample preparation such as heating up and mixing.
- Extreme sensitivity, on the ppt to low ppb range
- Includes GAS’s in-house data acquisition, analysis and visualization software LAV.
- The software features include:
- Matching of peak patterns with sensory-wise defined flavours
- Classification of unknown samples and characterization of, for example, their quality.
- Quantification of specific peaks for automatic concentration determination
Current users of the FlavourSpec include:
- Northumbria University in Newcastle
Food, beverage, Flavours and Fragrance industries
- Control of storage conditions
- Food freshness (determine the freshness of foods with a very quick analysis at the storage facility)
- Control of production process (understand how flavours and aromas evolve during your production process)
- Process optimisation
- Flavour evaluation and flavour stability
- Test of raw materials
- Product authentication (distinguish different product grades, different DOCs, etc.)
- Fully automated application for determination of levels of diacetyl and pentandione in beer – control your brewing process and determine your brewing endpoint
- Counterfeiting detection and authenticity analysis of food and beverage products
- Analysis of the headspace of liquid samples. Quickly measure volatiles, even at trace levels, in biofluid samples (blood, urine, sputum)
- Working principle Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS)
- Ionisation ß-radiation source (Tritium (3H))
- Activity 300 MBq, below the exemption limit of 1 GBq,
- EURATOM guideline
- Drift voltage polarity Positive and negative, switchable
- Sampling Automatic GC headspace injector
- Detection limit Low ppbv
- Dynamic range 1-3 orders of magnitude
- Display 6.4″ TFT, VGA-Display
- Input unit Rotary pulse encoder
- Processor 400 MHz X-scale
- Data acquisition Ultra-fast ADIO-board
- Data processing X-board / Baseboard
- Data storage 2 GB Compact-Flash
- Communication RS232, USB, Ethernet
- Electrical connectors 2 x D-Sub 9-pole (for modem,
- console), D-Sub 15-pole (for external devices), RJ45 (for
- digital modem or SSH), 2 x USB-A
- Power supply 100-240 V AC, 50-60 Hz (external supply),
- 24 V DC / 5A, XLR-connector (internal)
- Power consumption < 180 Watt
- Dimensions 449 x 375 x 177 mm (WxDxH)
- Weight 15.5 kg
- Housing 19″ compatible, IP 20 enclosure, EMC certificated
- Gas connectors 3 mm stainless steel Swagelok connectors
- for gas in- and outlet